Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need help

Old 11-19-2013, 06:37 PM
Spike

Default Need help

Hey fellas. I'm Brandon from NC, I have 3 years of hunting experience so I'm a relatively new hunter. This year I have started doing my own scouting/plots/food sources etc. on my own. My question is, I have a REALLY nice 10pt on my trail camera but I cannot get him to show his face during the daylight. All the pictures of him are about 3-430AM. Also, the doe are rarely showing their face in the daylight as well. Just curious what to do here? I'm hunting from a blind and I have been about 5-6 times this year and have seen nothing. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks guys and glad to be apart of the forums!
Old 11-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

find the deer highway's, the rut is getting on and they will be moving a lot...
Old 11-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

There was a particular buck I hunted last year that acted like this. I have hundreds of pictures of him coming out in the same field every single night for weeks. Never once did he ever show himself during the day. The older mature bucks seem to go pretty much nocturnal. I don't know if its from pressure because they don't really have much around here. The buck I shot Saturday only came out during the day once over the last few weeks. I happened to be there that day. Most of them slip up eventually but its not often. You just have to be there when he does.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Opportunities present themselves either on the first day/week of the season and when the rut is in full tilt.

Find the does and hope to get lucky !

Dawn & dust are still your best bet.......................
Old 11-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Spike

He'll make a mistake! But, you can't shoot him fromt the couch! Try hunting the trails to your food plot if you aren't already. You might catch him on the way out or back. I've always heard you should do that anyway that way they don't get scared to come to the food.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:52 PM
Spike

I've hunted a lot over the past 2 weeks but have not seen ONE deer during daylight hours. I put the camera out and once the sun goes down and moonlight hits, the deer come alive! I don't have the time to hunt from sun up to sun down but i do get about 3-5 hours out there a day. Either at dusk or dawn, I've been switching it up to see if i can see anything but nothing has worked.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

In a field behind my house I keep seeing 2 - 4 Does feeding a couple of times aday. the Bucks come in during early morning or at night. No chasing yet that I have seen. the rut must be late in my neck of the woods,

CVG Ohio
Old 11-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CVG Ohio
In a field behind my house I keep seeing 2 - 4 Does feeding a couple of times aday. the Bucks come in during early morning or at night. No chasing yet that I have seen. the rut must be late in my neck of the woods,

CVG Ohio
Or the primary breeding phase is already over?
Old 11-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

The woods exploded here today. 4 different bucks in the field running them does around and around fast as they could run.. grunting and raising heck. Does where peeing everywhere when they did stop. Yesterday was calm and the does was alone but acting funny. Guess today would be day 1 of the chase. In my neck of the woods anyways
Old 11-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

Be persistent and keep switching tactics. Different locations, different times of day, etc.

Don't set patterns and don't be predictable. Sooner or later big boy will make a mistake. Be there when he does. Perseverance wins.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.