Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Deer pee? how well does this work? >

Deer pee? how well does this work?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer pee? how well does this work?

Old 11-16-2013, 06:01 AM
Typical Buck

Also ii know of two people in west Virginia that uses elk in heat lure. They say that the biggest bucks come to it.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bbj270
Also ii know of two people in west Virginia that uses elk in heat lure. They say that the biggest bucks come to it.
I can see that working given the natural curiosity of whitetails. I've tried some pretty offbeat stuff and been pleasantly surprised with what happened.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

Deer corn works the best, I am getting a crap load of does and even a fawn on my trail camera this week! and they are eating around 4-5pm
Old 11-16-2013, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by The Green Horn Hunter
Deer corn works the best, I am getting a crap load of does and even a fawn on my trail camera this week! and they are eating around 4-5pm
not everyone can bait. Yes corn or baiting is the best to bring does. Marginal at bringing in mature bucks.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Spike

I can honestly say I have only used one attractant that has worked. Golden Estrus by Wildlife Research, and then ONLY when the rut has started. Not when the bucks are making scrapes/rubs, but when they are actively chasing does.

As far as other scents/pee etc goes, I think ones best bet is to leave em at home, but that's just opinion. It also depends on hunting pressure. Relaxed deer will be more prone to come in and check out a new scent vs. those that are pursued hard. Deer pee is nothing special and I don't believe it's gonna make or break the deal.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by The Green Horn Hunter
You want to freak a bunch of deer out just give them something that smells really great but is out of place in their environment.

I have taken a gunny sack full of old apples I picked up at a market and beat them to pieces inside the sack with a ball bat. Then tie that sack full of apples up in a tree out of reach of the deer.
In a northern Wyoming creek bottom the apples are totally out of place but they smell great. The whitetails hang around the tree looking for the source ,but it isn't baiting because they can't get to the apples to eat them.

I use tricks like this to photograph deer or to take visitors out just to see a lot of deer. Never shot anything over an apple sack.
That's just one of the little tricks I use.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

From what I've experienced personally it hasn't hurt my hunting. I usually pull a "drag rag" behind me when walking in / out of my stand location. The deer can probably still smell human scent, but it can't hurt to try and cover it somewhat.

I have also had bucks walk right up to a scent wick with doe estous and smell it. (on several occasions). So I wouldn't say they don't work. Why else would a rutting buck go straight to the wick.

All in all however, the market really does have these products overrated. They may work to some degree, but they are not a necessity.

Hunting downwind is always your best bet for not getting busted.

A bottle of buck urine or doe estrous may help. But I wouldn't go overboard investing a bunch of money in all these scent and scent eliminator products. I use the cheap Code Red Estrous when I do use scent & get a large bottle for like 5 bucks.

When making mock scrapes, I have actually pee'd in them instead of using deer urine.
And it works. Deer started using the very scrapes I pee'd in. May not believe me, but it is true. I have no reason to lie or spread false info.

This is just my personal opinion and experience....
Old 11-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

I was reading something some where the other day and they was talking about deer coming to human urine
Old 11-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by kenified06
I was reading something some where the other day and they was talking about deer coming to human urine
I hunted with a guy many years ago who swore that deer exhibited curiosity about his pee when he peed right off his stand. He said the same thing about his tobacco juice spit. I figured he was full of it but he did kill plenty of deer.

Tucker , if you are still alive out there somewhere..... Semper Fi