Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Late rut in Virginia???

Old 11-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Late rut in Virginia???

Ive been out hunting every day since halloween here in Southwest VA. Every evening i'm seeing 8-20 does and a few button bucks fill up the field. As of today I have yet to see a buck following any of the groups of does. Only bucks I have seen come out durring shooting hours at all was a pair of 6 pointers that fed together on the opposite side of the field and paying the does no attention 3 days ago. I have seen 7 different bucks on my trail cams coming into the field in the middle of the night. The three biggest bucks on my property have only visited the field one night each over the last 14 days and only appeared to be doing a quick doe check and leaving. No scrapes or rubs anywhere around. None of the bucks have swollen necks or appear aggressive at all and the does are showing no signs of being nervous. Looks like the warm weather has really backed things up this year. Cold front has came in today so maybe it will start to take off over the next few days. Keep going out expecting to see some chasing kickin off but so far nothing!
Old 11-08-2013, 12:49 AM
Fork Horn

Kenified06,
I'm seeing the same up here in NoVa. Pretty much the males and females are still separated. This cool weather we are now having could only help. My guess would be the rut will start opening day of rifle season (Nov 16). This works for me as I didn't do any achery or get a chance to do muzzleloader.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

saw 2 bucks chasing this week in eastern wv, its coming, should hit right around thanksgiving which is normal here
RR
Old 11-08-2013, 03:10 AM
Fork Horn

NE carolina. Been hunting my farm since last Sat. Yesterday I had an older doe with a big boy in tow. Not chasing she was being bred. Its on around here.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:28 AM
Spike

In New Kent, I watched (glassed) an 8pt walk into a bean field well before 5pm yesterday (Sat Nov 9th) evening. 30 mins later another deer on same path enters bean field. This morning (Sun) about 0645 I see what I think is same 2 deer in bean field. 8 pt. walks out of field with other deer following about 20 yds behind. Turns out deer following is a spike. I had a small Leyland Spruce tree thrashed in my yard Sat morning. I see sign all over woods, but I have not seen any chasing going on myself. I killed a older 8pt Weds morning and his tarsal glands were all gummed up and stinky. That's what I'm seeing.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

I'm headed back out today for the rest of the week. More cold weather and snow possible by tomorrow.. I feel the rut will kick off any minute.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

^^^ I sure hope so.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

I went out today and sat in the corner of the field.. 8 does came out about 4 30... all together in a group today when they are normally in different groups. About 5pm 2 average sized 8 pointers came out together and worked there way into the group of does. Looks like things are starting to happen. I was looking at some of my past rut notes and instead of a late rut like I was thinking for some reason it appears to be right on time. It always gets hot the last week before rifle season as it is now. Don't know why I was thinking it was late this year. This should be a great week here in Virginia.. Hunting all day all week would be a good idea!!
Attached Thumbnails Late rut in Virginia???-buky.jpg  
Old 11-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

Now that the wind has died back down from the recent cold front things are really picking up.. not so much during the day yet though
Attached Thumbnails Late rut in Virginia???-123.jpg   Late rut in Virginia???-1234.jpg   Late rut in Virginia???-12345.jpg   Late rut in Virginia???-kennydeer.jpg  
Old 11-14-2013, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like opening week of rifle is going to be a pretty good week. If you believe Charles Alsheimer(sp), he predicted a late rut this year and his hot days for action were November 14th through the 25th.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.