Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bow Accessories

Old 11-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Spike

Default Bow Accessories

What accessories does a bow need to be a great killing machine. Example sights arrows etc.(I am a student so I need affordable stuff). Thanks guys.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Spike

Depending on how well your bow is balanced, a stabilizer would be good. A lot of the other stuff is personal preference. I like a three pin sight, but if you shoot pretty flat you could use a one pin sight. Depending on how loud your bow is you could add string silencers(or whatever they are called). I like my drop away rest, but whisker biscuits are also common.(you lose a bit of speed with the whisker biscuit). A lot of people shoot expandable broad heads, but when I got my bow I was told that it would be easier to start out with fixed broad heads. Because of that I also have fetching on my arrows instead of vanes.

Like I said before a lot of it personal preference and you will find out what you like as you go.

I hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its hard to tell someone what they need because so much is based on your personal needs.

For example a 5/16 peep is way better than a 3/16 for hunting IF you are accurate with it so that makes it very hard to tell you what you need.

More and more they seem to bring target shooting equipment onto the hunting scene so when you go and see a nice little round sight with 5 very bright pins in it and a little bitty peep just remember you have to be able to see deer through it somehow and not a little bright bull eye on a target.

Just keep that in mind when your trying stuff out on targets. Your target when hunting is going to be in the low lit woods,camouflage,and about the size of a volleyball not in the well lit open with an orange dot in the middle.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most important part of archery: Lots of practice time shooting.

No matter what bells and whistles you have, if you don't practice with your bow, you'll never shoot it well. Practice, practice, practice some more.

If you have the commitment to practice as you should, then the next most important thing becomes a properly set up, fit, and tuned bow. Practice enough and you can shoot an ill-fitting bow very well, so I keep this as 2nd, but having a bow that fits you and your shooting style and is set up properly for draw length, timing, and tiller, will make everything you're practicing just that much easier.

Be sure to practice a lot. Shooting fewer pins on more nights a week is more important than shooting all day one day a month.

Next thing I focus on: GOOD REST, PROPERLY TUNED! QAD HD/HDX or Code Red Ripcord. Minimal contact timing. Having a good rest, properly timed, will help you eliminate negative effects on the arrow during the shot. I don't like talking to people that drink the 'full contact' rest koolaid (whisker biscuit), but I'll leave it alone here.

Then practice more.

Good quality arrows are worth the price. I only shoot Gold Tips these days. Velocity XT's or Pro's (hunting vs 3D). Having arrows tuned for your bow, and properly set up is important. You need enough tail drag and enough FOC to produce stable flight, but also need to properly tune your arrows (nock tuning for spine) and broadheads to ensure they leave the bow well, and want to fly well for you.

Oh, and then practice.

A good sight is important, but there are LOTS of good sights on the market. More important than brand/model is the pairing of the peep sight diameter with the outer ring of the sight housing. Too small or too big and you won't be able to align your peep and front sight properly.

Don't forget to practice...

A proper stabilizer (and proper tiller balance on your bow's limbs) should probably go before the sight, but it's pretty easy to find the right stabilization, so I put it after. If you're shooting properly, the bow should want to fall forward, STRAIGHT FORWARD from your hand, following the shot.

You should be practicing instead of reading this.

All of the above assumes that you have a proper sling on your bow and proper release. Don't be foolish enough to shoot modern compound bows without them.

Did I mention that you should practice a lot?