Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Parked vehicles scaring deer

Old 10-30-2013, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

My brother has pics of deer eating/licking his truck with the hay and left over grain feed off his truck from just having left the farm from feeding and then going hunting with the same truck. The vehicles don't bother them a bit unless you are driving it near them or at them.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

So for those of you that think he should move his truck How far should he move it to make this guy happy? 500 yards? 1000 yards? 1/2 mile? 3 miles? or just walk from home? How far to does some one have to go to make someone new hunting on property you have been hunting for much longer?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not entirely sure on this one. Without knowing all the details many ideas or pieces of advice may help but only you can determine what you want to do.

If neither of you own the land but you have been parking there and doing this for almost the whole 40 years you been hunting there then continue on.
If you just started to recently or within the last few years then working something out that works for the both of you might be ideal.

2 armed hunters getting into a dispute over something pretty trivial like this could escalate quickly. If your confident you haven't done anything wrong and your not gonna allow someone else to dictate how you hunt then I would definitely let that person know and even the land owner.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vapahunter
So for those of you that think he should move his truck How far should he move it to make this guy happy? 500 yards? 1000 yards? 1/2 mile? 3 miles? or just walk from home? How far to does some one have to go to make someone new hunting on property you have been hunting for much longer?
Hard to say without more information.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

The hunter complaining to you doesn't have a clue. Deer absolutely love trucks!

" />

(especially white trucks)
Old 10-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

Deer may like Chevys but they hate Dodges.

Just in the last year I've had two make kamikaze attacks on my grille and front bumper.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

So nobody has ever seen deer spooked by a parked truck?
Old 10-31-2013, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
So nobody has ever seen deer spooked by a parked truck?
Have seen deer cautious around parked trucks. I think i get your point that a spooked deer your not going to see it wont come near or out to be seen. So most peoples experience is with non spooked deer.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
Have seen deer cautious around parked trucks. I think i get your point that a spooked deer your not going to see it wont come near or out to be seen. So most peoples experience is with non spooked deer.
Right and also when I first think about it I think about the deer I have seen right next to my truck because that stuck in my memory more. When I give it more thought I think well Ive probably seen almost as many deer that didn't like my truck at all.

Ive seen deer do all kinds of crazy things that range from overly bold to overly skittish.

The bottom line for me is if what I'm doing could potentially screw up someone elses hunting and its within reason I will accommodate it and hope to get the same in return.

Plus as I touched on before I certainly don't want somebody getting in and out of their truck 400 yards in front of me while I'm hunting.

If I'm sharing a property with someone and they are not screwing with my hunting I'd move my truck even if only to make them feel better.