Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Parked vehicles scaring deer

Old 10-29-2013, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

It may spook them the first time they see it....but if you keep parking it in the same place every time you hunt it will become just another object and they probably won't pay much attention to it........that truck can't look to big at 400 yards....that's a LONG way....
Old 10-29-2013, 06:19 AM
Spike

Anything that is different in their environment, they are going to be curious about. My guess is they would sit and stare at it for a few moments and then continue on their way.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

It probably depends. If you are talking about an isolated area where vehicles are rare, then the vehicle, plus any human scent that you leave behind when exiting might be a problem. If you are talking about a public land parking lot that is frequently used by hunters, fishermen, shroom pickers, hikers, etc., then the deer are probably used to it an don't pay any attention.

How hard would it be to accommodate the other hunter's request? Even if he's wrong, he believes the truck is the problem, so is parking there worth the bad-blood?
Old 10-29-2013, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Murdy, It depends. If a particular animal has the age and has learned to equate { and they can } parked vehicles to lead slinging humans, you bet it can make a difference. May make a mature buck seek alternate route, or just wait til dark. Then again, with such an animal, there are no absolutes. None.

In the stated scenario, it could also be scents associated with the vehicle, but 400 yds IS quite a distance.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default Parked Vehicle

How hard would it be to accommodate the other hunter's request? Even if he's wrong, he believes the truck is the problem, so is parking there worth the bad-blood?

No, not if that is the real reason not to park there. He is trying to take control over the hunting there and act like he has full authority over the farm. I don't think so. I have been there 40 yrs and he has been there about 15 yrs. He has more time to spend there so that makes him think he is in charge.

Last edited by jrfrmn; 10-29-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

"No, not if that is the real reason not to park there. He is trying to take control over the hunting there and act like he has full authority over the farm. I don't think so. I have been there 40 yrs and he has been there about 15 yrs. He has more time to spend there so that makes him think he is in charge."

Well that's entirely different, if you're dealing with a know-it-all jack wagon, I would not be inclined to be accommodating either.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

Where I hunt I see deer standing beside truck when I come.back some times. They let my cousin drive right up to them when he feeds the cows with his tractor.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

So how far away does he park his vehicle? I park closer than 400 yards to where I hunt and it doesn't seem to matter as I shoot deer most years. would ignore him and continue to hunt. No need to placate him on this issue as he seems to be trying to control the area.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have shot a doe and buck this year walking a fence no more than 10 yards from the truck as they walked by. It all depends on how many cars they see a day and what distance. If there area a lot of cars around and they see them many times a day it won't matter. If you are hunting an area where there aren't many cars then they most likely will get a little spooky. 400 yards though I really wouldn't worry, thats a long distance off.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

400 yards can also be very different on different terrain. I often park much closer than 400 yards but I wouldn't park 400 yards from my stand in a flat field. I'd also worry a little about someone parking and getting ready while I'm already hunting or coming out before me.

I'd pick my battles and just move the truck. Your parking there COULD effect his hunting.

You have to also keep in mind we have all seen deer by our trucks. What we haven't seen is deer that don't come around because of our trucks.

I'd save for when he does/says something that is matter of fact wrong rather than maybe wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.