Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scrapes but no rubs

Old 10-22-2013, 03:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scrapes but no rubs

I am sure this has been covered and my apologies if it has. There are a couple of areas that I hunt but one in particular is usually full of scrapes but I have yet to see a single rub. The scrapes are generally in the same area every year but as I said no rubs. Anybody have any insight to this?
Old 10-22-2013, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm, not sure how far around the scrapes are you searching for the rubs? Got one area that i just started hunting this past weekend that has 3 scrapes in a single 40 yard area, 1 sapling/ ground area destroyed from 2 bucks fighting. But all the rubs are about 50 yards further down hill paralleling a creek. They are coming to the top for the acorns and entering the food plot from here so it may just take some walking around the area mid day to find them.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know this is probably a stupid question but you never know.

Are you sure its not Turkey?
Old 10-22-2013, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

Not stupid at all... Because I have mistaken them before. But these are definitely scrapes. Almost always with a licking branch right above it. I've also seen bucks in the area.

I've also walked the area and just haven't seen any rubs. I could just missing them
Old 10-22-2013, 06:27 AM
Spike

You said that the scrapes are there every year. It's possible that you have does visiting old scrapes. Maybe your bucks aren't moving yet.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cal516
Not stupid at all... Because I have mistaken them before. But these are definitely scrapes. Almost always with a licking branch right above it. I've also seen bucks in the area.

I've also walked the area and just haven't seen any rubs. I could just missing them
How many are we talking? roughly
Old 10-22-2013, 06:58 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Theres is NEVER a stupid ? when hunting deer.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if this is helpful but I'll tell the story and maybe you can get something out of it.

A couple years ago I had my rest break while shooting at a big mature buck and didn't hit him very good. The result is he made it home before he died. When I tracked him I knew when I got in his house and there he was. The deer sign was totally different. The scrapes and rubs were like professional work. Ive seen this before where you can just tell the difference between sloppy random buck sign and a big boy that knows what he is doing but Ive never had it really so clear as it was when I found him laying there dead in what was clearly his bedroom.

Buck sign and big buck sign are 2 very different things.

Here he is
Old 10-22-2013, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good deer and yes i will agree their is a difference in the scrapes and rubs found in his home versus those he makes along the way.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rock, I know that bedrooms, and scrape trails tend to be somewhat traditional, but maybe there's no buck inhabiting that bedroom this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.