Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Browning or Liberty safe

Old 10-21-2013, 01:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Browning or Liberty safe

I'd like to purchase a Ft. Knox, but it's not in the budget right now. That leaves me w/ Browning or Liberty - which is better or are they comparable? What do you recommend, looking for strong locks & fire protection. Any options you recommend getting or not getting?
Old 10-21-2013, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

Both safes are junk unless you get their high end models.
It really depends on what you're going to store in it and why.

If you're just trying to prevent your children from messing with your guns, any steel box that locks will be good enough.

If you're trying to keep the bad guys out, you need a safe that is tough enough to withstand hand tools like pry-bars and axes.

Body Steel must be thicker than 11 Ga because that's the point at which an axe will no longer rip a hole right through the side.

The door should be plate steel and be thicker than 1/4 inch.. Roll formed doors are junk and doors of thin steel can bend and twist enough to pry open.

Fire protection is up to you and will greatly depend on what you put in the safe and where the safe is located.

I would STRONGLY suggest getting a STURDY SAFE CO. brand.. They're ugly as my dogs a$$ but far more functional than any of the others.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Spike

http://www.bearsafes.net/

I own one of these. I had them leave every marking off except a serial number sticker. It looks more like an HVAC unit than a gun safe.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Bear safes looks like a good unit but stay away from the cheap lower end models. The 1/4 body and 1/4 doors are what you want. 3/8 door is even better.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Get a Liberty