Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

swamp stand

Old 10-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default swamp stand

I just want your guys opinions on where I should set my stand up...I own 2 pieces of land that ive been hunting for years. I wanna try a new spot just to change it up. Until I find another piece of private property I have a spot in mind in the local State gameland piece. There are 100000305940 guys that hunt this woods but it is huge. id say 60-70% of the guys hunt the front part and the middle part but not to many hunt way in the back. The spot I have picked out is setup like this...you drive down the dirt road for like 2 miles. its all oaks and pines on either side. On the left side there is oaks/pines for about 150 yards or so..then it drops off into a swamp. On the outer edge of the swamp is a river that runs through it. its about 2-3 ft deep and stays flowing. so its mostly swamp after the oaks with some areas of very thick briars and low lying trees separating the oaks and the swamp around the edges. Should I put my stand on the oaks side lookin into the swamp over the briars..put my stand dead center of swamp..or put my stand next to river lookin into swamp?
Old 10-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

the swamp is not that thick in it just around edges
Old 10-19-2013, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

If there are any dry spots or islands in the swamp that is where you should bee near. Once the hord arrives and pushes the deer that is whare they will head for.

Al
Old 10-19-2013, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL sounds like you're hunting Florida.If you go into the swamp you may be busting them out of a bedding area.From your description I'd hunt near the oaks(if they still are dropping acorns) and briars or best see if you can find trails leading in.Get there early and let the swarms push the deer to you.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

The swamp is where all the deer I hunt go, esp. as the season pushes on. During the winter they'll hide and bed down and come out just before dark to feed on the acorns on higher ground.

Last edited by jerseyhunter; 10-19-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Spike

find a noel or ridge, any sort of high ground in the swamp, if topographical maps are available this would save you hours or scouting and thats where deer will either be or be traveling through. dont be suprised if you dont see a lot on a trail camera now, the deer will be headed to the swamp as the season progresses.