Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent control for cheap.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scent control for cheap.

The price of scent control products for hunting are pretty expensive for the little amount you get.

What about All free & clear for scent free laundry detergent? Anybody use it?

And what about basic scent free antibacterial hand soap for hair/body wash? Think that would work?

Last edited by ChasinTail; 10-11-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

I think most of that scent control stuff is hogwash... Just a bunch of re-packaged and re-labeled products.

Scent free deodorant, laundry soap, bath soaps, etc is all you really need.

The fact is is that your body perspires and your breath gives off plenty of material to drift down wind. No amount of soap is going to stop that.

That said, I do believe the activated carbon clothing may help hide some of what you perspire.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:29 AM
Typical Buck

I wash my hunting clothes in plain water with baking soda added and leave them somewhere that they won't pick up odd smells from the house.
I shower in scent free soap. (Neutrogena from the grocery store)
And I use unscented deodorant. That's the whole program. Very little expense or effort.

Even with all that some of what I do is probably unnecessary. It's all about watching the wind, not making your body scent invisible.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:33 AM
Fork Horn

All the overhype scent control. Nobody farts in the deer woods?
Old 10-12-2013, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Night Crawler View Post
To prevent yourself from farting in the woods, drink some apple cider vinegar with your meals.

10ml of ACV into a cup of water with some ice. Tastes like crap but will stop the farts. Good for digestive tract also and since its made from apples, the deer don't mind the breath. There was a study done, but I forgot where, that people who used it with olive oil on their salads had lower cholesterol..
Old 10-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Night Crawler View Post
As good as a deers sense of smell is I like to narrow my odds at least a little. In my opinion there's nothing you can do to stop a deer from smelling you if the wind is blowing his way, but it doesn't hurt to try to to eliminate some of your scent. Especially bow hunting and here in ky where it's pretty hard to "play the wind". If I actually did that I'd probably have to change stands every 30 minutes.

My dad has sat in the stand and smoked all his life and more times than not killed a deer. But pretending they can't smell me makes me feel better anyway
Old 10-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use it,I think it helps.If you wish not to don't,I'm not hunting near you so do as you wish.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

Baking soda works as good as anything, if the science I saw was correct. I don't bother with any of it myself. I just hunt the wind.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

Holy moley! If I drank cider vinegar before going into the woods I would be leaving a trail of more than farts.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me scent control is not about trying to shoot deer at 20 yards down wind. I don't even expect scent control to result in a shot right now. If a mature deer is in bow range down wind they are probably going to smell you no matter what.

That doesn't make it useless. When I leave my stand at 7pm and a big buck comes through at 8pm I don't want him to know Ive been there. I think using scent control on my clothes and boots makes that more likely to happen.

Obviously we all hunt the wind but sometimes were wrong. I don't expect that my use of scent control will get me a shot when I'm wrong but what I do hope for is if I'm wrong and that buck comes through at 100 yards downwind he doesn't detect me and maybe I get him next time around.

To much hype put into the short term effect of scent control and not enough into the long term effect IMO.

Charcoal and baking soda are probably the cheapest way to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.