Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent control for cheap.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Night Crawler
All the overhype scent control. Nobody farts in the deer woods?

Be careful farting in the woods. It attracts bears.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tourangeaud
Scent Control Formula

2 Bottles of hydrogen peroxide 16oz
32 oz of distilled water
¼ cup baking soda
1 oz sportsman's wash laundry detergent or any unscented detergent.
(option) You can use ½ oz hunter soap earth scent. If you use the earth scent soap, cut the laundry detergent to 1/2 oz.

First poor hydrogen peroxide in bottle or some large open container. Then add the distilled water. Then you add the baking soda and the unscented soap. STIR DO NOT SHAKE!
Use a wood spoon and stir the ingredients together. Add very small amounts of baking soda at a time stirring until it is completely dissolved. Let this ferment for three days stirring one or twice a day. Do not seal tight in the first 3 days because it may build up pressure. After the three days, store the scent killer in dark containers like the peroxide containers and in my spray bottles. Light breaks down hydrogen peroxide.

So when you mix that up does it stink?
Old 10-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Spike

Many have mentioned the wind... How much cheaper can it get, it's free?

That said, it also pays to understand thermal (air currents rising)and inverse (air currents being pushed down to the earth) conditions. A smoker can detect either of these conditions by simply watching their cigarette smoke. If you hunt in a camp with a wood stove, or have one at home, you no doubt have seen both of these conditions revealed by the chimney smoke. Also a simple campfire will reveal these conditions.

Just some food for thought.
I agree - free scent repellant. It just takes a little thought and prep is all!
Old 10-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Spike

I've never personally used scent control of any sort. All of our gear is stowed in our mud room so normally it smells like the outdoors. I do hunt down in a valley though so the wind doesnt blow to much through the area.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

Dove shampoo an soap scent free an A&H deo.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:57 AM
Spike

I take Irish Spring soap and rub it all over my clothes. Then I bathe in it and use it to wash my hair. After that I rub it all over the bottoms of my boots and when I get to the stand I rub it all over my stand. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A DEER THOUGH.

Actually I agree with the baking soda as laundry soap. I also use the Dove scent free soap and Arm & Hammer deodorant. I don't buy the other stuff any more.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Luv2KilFish
I take Irish Spring soap and rub it all over my clothes. Then I bathe in it and use it to wash my hair. After that I rub it all over the bottoms of my boots and when I get to the stand I rub it all over my stand. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A DEER THOUGH.

Actually I agree with the baking soda as laundry soap. I also use the Dove scent free soap and Arm & Hammer deodorant. I don't buy the other stuff any more.
Irish spring is what I use on neighbors hunting areas when the hunt property lines.

We keep a bulldozed path on our side for a fire break and the neghbors see is as a free shooting lane.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

its simple..no need for all that stuff all that money spent etc..keep your clothes in a tote with some sticks and leaves...keep a unscented deodorant on and when you go in the woods just spray down with any brand of the earth scent stuff...whats better than a dirt smell?
Old 10-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also high rubber boots with pants tucked in.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

I do own some carbon scent control clothing that I bought 5+ years ago, but I wouldn't buy it again. I don't believe you can do anything to eliminate your scent (nevertheless, since I already own it, I still use it, just in case I'm wrong, lol). I do use scent free soaps and deoderants, line dry my hunting clothes outside and get them into a plastic bag with a handful of dry leaves, and leave the outer layer in the bag until I get into the woods. I do believe in cover scents, primarily fresh earth spray and a little fox or racoon urine on my boots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.