Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New guy here

Old 09-24-2013, 05:30 AM
Spike

Default New guy here

I just joined the forums not to long ago and wanted to introduce myself. I have looked through the forums here and there but havnt posted anything yet. When i was younger I would go hunting with my best friend and his dad. Once i got to my later years of high school I faded away from it all and ended up joining the Navy right out of high school. Been in for close to 3 years now and have had a chance to start getting back into hunting. My first question would be what is a decent rifle to begin with? I mostly Bow hunted when I was younger and Muzzleloader here and there but never with a rifle so im new to this side.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome aboard. Lot of knowledge & experience here, and some BS. look forward to your participation.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Really you will have to decide what you like.Me I use a 30-06 Remington and a 30-30 Winchester for close in hunting.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

270 or 30-06 good all around weapon...cheapest/best deal is from walmart around $400 I got one around 20yrs ago and it still shoots great!
Old 09-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Spike

Thanks for the replies! I was leaning towards a 30-06 but wanted some input. Planning to have everything ready to go by next season. Being in the military makes getting free time hard sometimes but that is my plan for now.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome

Thank you for your service !!!

Take a look at these;

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/weatherby-vanguard-rifle-vgs270nr4o-winchester-griptonite-stock-stainless-finish-p-121954.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/marlin-bolt-action-rifle-xl7270-winchester-black-stock-stainless-steel-finish-p-117249.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/ruger-hawkeye-bolt-action-rifle-hmk77rfp-7119-winchester-black-synthetic-stock-stainless-steel-finish-p-99578.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/tikka-lite-bolt-action-rifle-jrtb318-winchester-bolt-action-black-synthetic-stock-stainless-steel-finish-p-90826.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/remington-stainless-bolt-action-rifle-7267-winchester-black-synthetic-stock-stainless-steel-finish-p-86358.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/howa-1500-rifle-whogue-stock-hgr62612-winchester-bolt-action-black-synthetic-stock-stainless-steel-finish-p-99595.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/savage-116fcss-weather-warrior-rifle-17799-bolt-action-black-stock-stain-steel-finish-wdbm-p-86703.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/thompson-center-icon-weathershield-rifle-5547-winchester-synthetic-stock-weathershield-finish-p-112298.html
Old 09-25-2013, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

Are you planning on hunting whitetails exclusively?

I'd put .308 on the list. Classic cartridge, widely available. If you are on a budget, look at the Ruger American or maybe the Marlin x series. If you have a little more to spend, I'd look at the Weatherby Vanguard 2 or the Savage 11 series (there are other good choices, as Sheridan points out). If you got more, go nuts . . . but leave money for a good scope (in any event) and plenty of practice ammo.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Spike

Thank you Sheridan for the support and for the links! I am currently at work right now but was able to browse the links you posted. They all seem like nice rifles and I will be looking into them more once i get the time. To Murdy, for right now I do plan to hunt whitetail exclusively as that is all that I have ever hunted. I would like to hunt different game later on though. I will check out the .308 for sure, thanks again!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome.

Lots of great folks on this forum and you'll get some good advice. Not sure if mine is ever worth much, but here goes. There are at least a dozen good choices for a medium game hunting rifle out there today. And too many cartridges to try to list. The fiorst thing I'd do if I were you would be to determine a budget. If you are going to put a scope on the rifle, I strongly recommend that you buy the best scope that you can possibly afford.

My personal favorite cartridge is the 308 Win. This particular cartridge does a great job with 165 gr. bullets. The 30.06 Spr. is about a as good a "one rifle" option as there is out there. Most I have sighted in "like" the 165 gr. to -180 gr. bullet stuff.

As for make ... model? I suggest you go "feel' several. Fit and feel are very important. MSRP's of factroy grade rifles vary all over the place. But most are in the $400-$600 range. My personal favorite is the Styer Pro Hunter. I am also a big fan of the Remington Model 700 and Ruger 77.

As far as scope .... do yourself a favor and do not under spend. I have never once had a "blue light special" last for long. You can find excellent values in the $250 to $650 range. My recommendation for a value scope are the Ziess Conquest, Bushnell Elite and Vortex scopes in that price range. If it is excellence you want and prince is not an issue, Swarovski's and Ziess' top of the line stuff is superb.

Another thing that you should do is try out several loads. Each rifle is unique in what ammo it "likes". As an example, Tuesday I helped a buddy sight in his brand new Browning X bolt, in 270 Win. He came to the range prepared .... with several different factory loads. The least expensive was about $20.00 the most expensive was over $50.00. He had stuff made by Remington, Winchester, Hornady, Federal and Nosler. Eleven different boxes all total. (Can we say "over board"?) Anyway, these grouped out of this rifle from well over 3 MOA to well under 1 MOA, with most of the others right at 1.5 -2.0 MOA. At 100 yards ... any of these would have hit the kill zone of a broadside deer. At 350-400 yards, whole differnt issue ! Pick the best grouping of whatever you try out.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome. I personally do not rifle hunt, but CB, Shotgun & ML. But there's usually pretty good advice here. Of course a lot is opinions, and rarely an instance of having to question the opinion of a post, but most people on here know good tips and tactics. I have gained a wealth of info reading, searching the posts, & asking questions when I need to. I believe this is really good forum for newcomers to the sport, as well as seasoned hunters. Especially compared to some other sites where I've read some pretty much BS.....lol.. The majority of hunters, and target shooters here appear to live their sport, and thus have years of experience. Most folks are willing to share advice and knowledge. You will like it here I think. Be safe & have fun!!