Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where are the deer?????

Old 09-23-2013, 04:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default Where are the deer?????

This year for the first two weeks of bow season the grand total for the number of deer i have seen is at a whole 4. Last year at this time i was at like 60. What has happened?
Old 09-23-2013, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

What state? What kind of habitat? Farms? Big woods? Could it be crop rotation in farms? Or, if it's woods, could be a different mast this year than other years?
Old 09-23-2013, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

How does the acron drop look this year?

If the acorns are dropping and you arent near them, you wont see very many deer at all until the acorns are gone.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:46 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Friesland is in the Netherlands, right? Hard to say what has happened as we are not familiar with hunting pressure, predators, or other factors you may have in place.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Friesland is also a small town in Wisconsin. Mainly farmland. The acorn drop is normal but better than last year and my stand is on a oak tree that is dropping acorns. Very low early season pressure. Not many predators around at all.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Could be the deer are getting wise to your setup. Try hunting another stands(s).
Old 09-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of oak are you in? If you're in a red oak, and there's a white oak going crazy somewhere, they may be there. Hard to say. There may just be another food source they're hitting now while it's there and will get the acorns next. If it's still pretty green in the woods, there's a lot of food for them.

My dad always answers the question: Where are the deer?.......They're in the woods.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not familiar with Friesland. Can you get fries there?

If so I like it already.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

What part of WI are you in? ie; (N/W, N) What zone, all these things make a diference as to how many deer there are. Here in 22A I am seeing more deer than ever as we have been saving the does, shooting fawns and trying to correct the mess the DNR has made in our deer herd. We now have a good many mature buck and doe and will be taking some does this year. We do our own managing of the herd with several neighbors, no more slaughters!
Old 09-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

I've sat in all 4 stands of mine and get the same thing. Not sure what kind of oak tree it is but ill check. No there is not any fries here lol. I'm in the southern zone 67b which is just a little north of Madison. Hard to manage the land. With bow season pressure very very little and gun season through the roof. Most of the people shot for meat so the fist thing that is brown to come out and it sounds like WWIII out in the woods.