Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
When to kill varmints before Deer Season? >

When to kill varmints before Deer Season?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When to kill varmints before Deer Season?

Old 08-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default When to kill varmints before Deer Season?

I have some property that I recently allocated for deer hunting purposes but I know there is a healthy population of hogs that reside in the immidiate area. I have no problem shooting the hogs and wouldnt hesitate to hunt from now until season opening (November 1) but I know it would do nothing but spook the deer as a result.

My questions are:
1) Knowing my season starts Nov. 1, at what point should I stop killing hogs and let the area cool off from human activity so that the deer aren't spooked too badly at the start of my season?

2) Should I try to avoid killing the hogs near my food plot and feeder and wait until they are atleast 40-50 yards away or does it really matter?
Old 08-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I kill varmints whenever I see them, deer season or not...

I've killed many deer after doing so......
Old 08-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I kill varmints whenever I see them, deer season or not...

I've killed many deer after doing so......
***Ditto that! Shoot em every chance you get and it will just make your deer hunting that much better! I've had more fun shooting hogs and coyotes in south Texas than deer when I hunted down there on leases my Dad had until he died a couple years ago.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

We usually keep out of our Deer Hunting Area 2-5 weeks before the Season starts,as long as Your not disturbing an area too much the Deer won't be too skid-ish,maybe leave Your main Hunting Areas alone and kill the Hogs at certain times when You know the Deer are moving the least amount?

Another thing to consider is using a Compound Bow for hunting,a Rifle with a Supressor or a lighter Caliber Rifle for less noise.You could put out corn/bait in areas that won't affect Your Deer Hunting also.