Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

the buck i just cant get!

Old 08-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default the buck i just cant get!

guys i got a question hopefully someone can help or give some good advice... so the layout of my land is basically an 18 acre piece of oaks and laurels between 2 large soybean fields and a very large swamp over 100 acres on the backside of my land that is owned by someone else. so for the last 4 years I have been seeing a monster 12 that i saw when it was a 8 pointer. he has unique horns that i know its him. he has just never been in the right place at the right time. i usually see him at a distance when im bow hunting or he disappears when i have a gun. the problem is the deer bed down in my land and whether i park down the road and sneak in or i park at front of field and walk in I always jump the deer. eventually some of the deer circle around and i always see deer when i am in my stand. but i have not been able to get him. i am stumped. ive gone in early , ive snuck in as quiet as i can , ive hunted the field in a blind, he is just that illusive buck that i want so bad. any help or ideas would be great. thanks
Old 08-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Hard to say without seeing a layout of your property and the location of your stand/bedding areas. It sounds like you've had numerous encounters with this buck though so you're doing something right. Just need to try to dial in his patterns a little better and get him in early season before the rut. That's your best bet IMO.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

clear yourself a path coming in with a weed blower or even a rake...then find a good path where you know hes coming through and clear a good path where you have a good shooting lane. The deer will eventually get on your lane you cleared and start using it because its quieter. Then you just have to have patience and persistence. Bait also helps if its legal where you are
Old 08-07-2013, 03:07 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

A game cam snapping photos every 10 seconds might be helpful. Set it up and let it run for a week. Then look for patterns.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you jump the deer and they circle and come back I'd place a stand in the area you see them return to. Another thing I'd try is a Doe decoy with code blue estrus and a buck growl call during the peak of the rut.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

thanks guys.. i like the ideas everyone gave me as they are things i def. havent tried yet. i think this weekend i will do the clean path and set up my camera. i have 2 regular cameras and 1 of the cameras that take a picture every 5 seconds. thats the one ill start using i guess. and getting a doe decoy is something i always wanted just never got around to it. hopefully the commotion of raking the trail and being out there wont spook him before the season starts. september 14th is opening day of early bow season for us so i will try to do what i can asap. he has already been spotted in the field this summer so hopefully i dont mess anything up. thanks guys and anymore information i can get will always help.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

I know it sucks to wake up even earliet but if u give yourself more time to sneak in u may not jump him..... or go in the evening and don't leave the stand..... stay all night.... its devotion amd ambition that will reward..... I've done it before and its paid off....
Old 08-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could try Tinks smoke sticks during the rut,with a doe decoy.That might help.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NjHunter85
thanks guys.. i like the ideas everyone gave me as they are things i def. havent tried yet. i think this weekend i will do the clean path and set up my camera. i have 2 regular cameras and 1 of the cameras that take a picture every 5 seconds. thats the one ill start using i guess. and getting a doe decoy is something i always wanted just never got around to it. hopefully the commotion of raking the trail and being out there wont spook him before the season starts. september 14th is opening day of early bow season for us so i will try to do what i can asap. he has already been spotted in the field this summer so hopefully i dont mess anything up. thanks guys and anymore information i can get will always help.
Are leaves falling there already?

Deer are pretty brazen and habitual....from what Ive seen.
Rustling leaves etc would only peak their curiosity...

I have friends that have dogs and a few apple trees, the dogs chase the deer but they keep coming back for the fallen apples...so I don't think raking some leaves will make the deer move... Good luck! Post some pics when you get them!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

leaves are def not falling yet. its 90 and humid . but yes i will clean up some trails and use a doe decoy and i always use tinks. hard work and dedication is what its all about. i will try to adjust some things and get in a little earlier and hopefully ill have some pics for you guys by end of the season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.