Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Newbe question

Old 08-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Spike

Default Newbe question

So I live in Ohio and was invited to deer hunt some private land in West Virginia. How exactly does this work? Do I need an out of state license and tags even though its private land? Can I get my tags and out of state license in Ohio for WV or do I have to wait until I get to WV. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes you will need out of state license and tags. Most states you can buy and print off from your home computer. Just go to the WVA fish and game website or buy them once you get there.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Spike

Thanks and good luck
Old 08-03-2013, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

This may seem basic but familiarize yourself w/that states game regulations.
Check to see if a hunters safety course is required there and if other states safety courses are honored for license purchase.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Many states you do need to have completed a Hunters Safety course if born after a certain date. Be sure to check on this now and don't wait. Sometimes you can do the course online, but may require you to go to a facility for the actual test.

Some states, you can hunt on a landowners permit. I don't know if WV is that way or not.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

i have hunted in west virginia numerous times and ohio as well. i am from south jersey and all you needed to do (in west virginia) was present them with your drivers license. then purchase a license and tag from there and your good to go. i always carry my new jersey firearms license or hunter education paper on me just in case but never needed it yet. every year my club makes a trip to west virginia or ohio and so far thats all we needed. you can purchase an out of state license online but its easier to just go to the fish and wildlife buildings or local convience store in VA to get the tags . it was somewhere around 130-150$ if i remember correctly. and regardless of private or state land you still need a tag/license to hunt. good luck