Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Hunting in Henderson County, Illinois >

Hunting in Henderson County, Illinois

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting in Henderson County, Illinois

Old 07-24-2013, 08:16 AM
Spike

Smile Hunting in Henderson County, Illinois

I have a place I can hunt along the MS River, what kind of hunting can I expect as far as deer numbers, its 105 acres surrounded by woods, crp and crops. What size buck would you consider a typical shooter in that area.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lot of that is very tough to answer. Numbers wise, it depends on how hard EHD hit there. If it didn't show its ugly head, then you should see plenty of deer if there is a fair amount of woods mixed with agriculture, which it sounds like there is. I wouldn't worry about seeing deer if I was you.

Only you can make the call on the size of the deer to shoot. A trophy in one persons mind might be a small buck in someone else's mind. I don't even want to give you a number. Shoot whatever deer is a trophy for you and don't worry what anyone else say. I've seen people in Illinois shoot a small 6 point and have the biggest smile on their face and couldn't stop telling the story of how they shot it. I've also seen people in Illinois shoot 150" and couldn't care less. Shoot whatever makes you smile and don't worry about the rest.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by fastetti
A lot of that is very tough to answer. Numbers wise, it depends on how hard EHD hit there. If it didn't show its ugly head, then you should see plenty of deer if there is a fair amount of woods mixed with agriculture, which it sounds like there is. I wouldn't worry about seeing deer if I was you.

Only you can make the call on the size of the deer to shoot. A trophy in one persons mind might be a small buck in someone else's mind. I don't even want to give you a number. Shoot whatever deer is a trophy for you and don't worry what anyone else say. I've seen people in Illinois shoot a small 6 point and have the biggest smile on their face and couldn't stop telling the story of how they shot it. I've also seen people in Illinois shoot 150" and couldn't care less. Shoot whatever makes you smile and don't worry about the rest.

I guess I should state that I would like to shoot 3 1/2 year old deer or better and was wondering what size those would be , Im guessing 130" or better?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:00 PM
Spike

Like fastetti said a trophy is whatever makes a person happy but in that area a good "trophy" is gonna be a 3 1/2+ y/o 130" and up
Old 07-26-2013, 02:54 AM
Spike

What about the rut, when is the best overall time to see mature deer on their feet?
Old 07-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unless your neighbors are "If its brown its down" you should have some 130's and up running around. They are smart deer once they hit 3.5 years but if you do your homework and research the land I can almost bet you will have some living on there that you will have a shot at. I think that everyone has a different definition of what the rut is and when it is. Personally, Once November hits, I want to be in a tree as much as I can. I'm planning my longer hunting trip from November 5 to 12th which I think is the prime time. Anywhere from right around Halloween to about the start of gun season.

Last year on our drive down to southern Illinois the day before gun season it got light right around Champaign and as we could start to see, I kid you not, every other field had a doe with a buck in it. It was one of the cooler things I have ever seen. We must have seen 50 bucks locked up with does. Be in your stand the first time of November and be prepared to do some shooting!