Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

albinos and pibalds

Old 09-28-2003, 01:59 PM

Default RE: albinos and pibalds

Gryan. Thanks for the reply. Intrestingly enough my wife and i were visiting the wine country along Seneca Lake last week and I spotted one as we were driving home. My wife thought it was a horse. I did get a picture and i' ll email it to you as i don' t know how to post it on this board. It is a spooky looking shot as it was a little dark. I recall it having one antler,but it may have had two.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:37 PM

I saw a piebald doe last archery season out of range.I' m holding off shooting anything in that area this year til I see if she' s still around.If she comes around this year again and is in range,she' s going down.
Years ago I shot a 9 pointer the local farmer called patches.He had patches of white hair on both back legs.Not a true piebald in my book,but just the same it didn' t effect my deer hunting success and if I get this doe doubt if it will have any effect either.
My dad killed a piebald doe a few years ago too and he never saw any negative effects from shooting her.
Go for it if the opportunity presents itself!
Old 09-30-2003, 12:10 AM
Fork Horn

if it is brown its down........ if its white goodnight[8D] tell your son to take em
Old 09-30-2003, 12:10 AM
Fork Horn

if it is brown its down........ if its white goodnight[8D] tell your son to take em
Old 09-30-2003, 06:13 AM

When I was in high school in Oklahoma I hunted a large albino for two seasons. I only saw him once about two weeks before the first season I hunted him and he looked to have at least ten points; the farmers in the area saw him pretty regularly and that kept me coming back. There were several of us trying to get him, but I guess he died of natural causes because I never heard of anyone taking him and he had become something of a local legend, so I am sure I would have known if someone had got him. By the end of the second season I decided to give up bacause I started thinking of myself as Ahab in search of the Great White Buck.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

There' s no way I' d pass one up. Tell your son to take him. Good Luck!
Old 10-08-2003, 03:35 PM

im not sure, but in some states i think it is illegal to shoot an albino deer. whats the difference between albino and piebald?
Old 10-09-2003, 04:50 AM
Spike

Shoot it.

Albinos are pretty much OK genetically except for the lack of melanin, but piebalds are really screwed up genetically. You don' t want them breeding. They end up getting scoliosis, goat face, and all kinds of other ailments and can pass this on to other deer if they breed with a normal one. Since this is a buck, he can do a lot of breeding damage.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/ddpbald.html

I shot a piebald button buck a few years ago, approx. 75% white. Glad to get him out of the gene pool before he passed it on! I got a full body mount of him, if I can find the pictures I' ll post a few...