Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is this considered a saddle?

Old 06-10-2013, 06:27 AM
Spike

Default Is this considered a saddle?

On the topo map where the little icon is. Is that a saddle? I've been learning topo and trying to find areas on a new property and was wondering. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Is this considered a saddle?-image.jpg  
Old 06-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was going to post that on your other thread but I think it is. I think that would be a great place to put a stand as well. I'd like it to have more of a drastic elevation change but I think that would be a great spot during the rut.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Spike

Thanks. Now to actually find it. I've walked the area a few times but haven't noticed much of a dip in the top of the ridge
Old 06-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

I've never heard the term saddle, with regards to topo's. Just curious on what that refers to.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Spike

The way I understood it a lower area between two high spots on a ridge. Someone else could help with that probably. Kind of like a saddle looks like for riding a horse.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's a link with a great explanation of the various terms, including saddle, along with pictures showing the terms when using a topographic map:

http://www.map-reading.com/ch10-6.php
Old 06-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BIG TUNA
I've never heard the term saddle, with regards to topo's. Just curious on what that refers to.
I don't know if the Army still teaches it this way, but when I went through basic training 20+ years ago, it was a standard land navigation term that referred to a low point between two high points (the area between two hill tops along a ridge, basically).

And yes, the terrain feature indicated on the map would be a saddle,
Old 06-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The area you pointed out is a saddle, but as you have observed, not much of one. There is a more pronounced saddle back down the ridge to the SSE of the one you noted, just to the right of the "BM 1049".

Saddles can be great, or they can just be a saddle. Deer need a reason to want to cross the ridge, and then the saddle becomes the natural crossing because it takes less energy to cross the ridge in a low-point.

I look for a saddle, and then I look for the place within the saddle where a "bench" in the side-hill (think of it as a landing in the middle of a run of steps) runs into the saddle.

Benches, like ridge tops, are great natural travel ways, and are often great feeding areas too. The combination of a bench, ridge-top and a saddle is hard to beat for all day sits in early November.

Last edited by UncleNorby; 06-11-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
The area you pointed out is a saddle, but as you have observed, not much of one. There is a more pronounced saddle back down the ridge to the SSE of the one you noted, just to the right of the "BM 1049".

Saddles can be great, or they can just be a saddle. Deer need a reason to want to cross the ridge, and then the saddle becomes the natural crossing because it takes less energy to cross the ridge in a low-point.

I look for a saddle, and then I look for the place within the saddle where a "bench" in the side-hill (think of it as a landing in the middle of a run of steps) runs into the saddle.

Benches, like ridge tops, are great natural travel ways, and are often great feeding areas too. The combination of a bench, ridge-top and a saddle is hard to beat for all day sits in early November.
Ya just where your talking is a great spot. I saw about 9 does there during turkey season. Unfortunately it's someone else's land and doesn't allow hunting. My property stops at the power line.
Attached Thumbnails Is this considered a saddle?-image.jpg