Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Snake Bite: Do You Need a Snake Bite Kit? Really? >

Snake Bite: Do You Need a Snake Bite Kit? Really?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Snake Bite: Do You Need a Snake Bite Kit? Really?

Old 05-25-2013, 02:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just 2 weeks ago a fellow was bitten by a copperhead locally...He had been drinking, went fishing and stuck his hand where it shouldn't have been...

The article point out that most folks do more damage then good by cutting and sucking...Just doesn't work...Although our hospital is small they keep medicine in stock that treats all venomous snakes...

Surely, if you are way back in the widerness with no cell signal, you might resort to other ways of treating...With today's communications and helicoptors most are just minutes away from a hospital...
Old 05-25-2013, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for sharing, I'll have to get one of those kits. I've seen several snakes while hunting.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

kinda like 4x4 wheel drive. Better to have it and not need it , than need it and not have it.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by VA5326
A good cell/sat phone with good service so you call the hospital you're going to so they can prepare the anti-venom. I've seen a Lightly applied tourniquet to help ease the spread of venom through the body…..Especially if it's a long ride.
Why not apply it tightly? your body will be fine for 4-8 hours depending on what it is.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is better to have it, and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Especially if you are very far from help.
Bingo!!! Many years ago a friend was bitten while fishing a stream many miles from the nearest road. The snake was a 5' 7" timber rattler. One of the fishing party had a snakebite kit he used to extract the venom from the two punctures.

The guy got a little sick but managed to walk out. At the hospital he was kept over night and released the next day.

i would rather take a chance extracting the venom than depend on a Dr. who never treated a venomous snake bite. i know a guy who was bitten on the hand by a western diamondback while sacking the snake. He sat in the emergency room for two hours waiting to be treated. He has a horrible scar all the way to his elbow that the Dr. made. The snake bite cost his insurance $300,000. The anti-venom alone cost $120,000.

From Doctors Secrets:

http://www.doctorsecrets.com/emergen...treatment.html

Then there is the shock treatment used in remote areas of the world.

http://venomshock.wikidot.com/

Last edited by falcon; 05-29-2013 at 01:36 PM.