Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

safety rope in weather

Old 06-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by croc2116
I am setting up a treestand this spring and want to put everything out including safety rope, so it will be undisturbed all summer and deer get used to it. But I am thinking bthat the weather may comprimise safety rope. What does everyone think? All opinions welcomed.

Thanks
croc2116
If you just want it left out so deer can get used to it.
Instead of using the rope you left out, just take it down, and put up a fresh new rope when deer season opens.

JMHO
Old 06-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote to not leave the rope out. Down in SE Al. the chances are you'd find it in pieces at the bottom of the tree anyway. The squirrels like to cut the ropes down for whateer reason. I have often wondered if it is not at the places where salty hands might have held the rope.

I do leave a lot of metal stands out. All of which are attached to the tree with a ratchet stra nad secured with additional straps. These are inspected each fall just before season start and the straps are replaced then. A weathered poly rope or strap can look like it is on great shape only to be brittle and sanp at far below the "new" seeight rating.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not only can the dampness weaken the rope but so can the sun. Why take a chance. Just keep it clean and packed away till you need it. and remember not to let it dangle while your in your stand.