Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
100% new to hunting.  Few questions! >

100% new to hunting. Few questions!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

100% new to hunting. Few questions!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome Sanders1996!

Glad you are interested in hunting! To try and answer/add to the current posts on your questions.

1. Most likely you CAN carry a rifle...like others said check with your state game wardens...typically the 18yr old age limit is for buying a rifle...pistols are typically 21.
2. 308 or 30-06 is plenty rifle for a deer. Depending on what kind of cover you are hunting in. 30-30 is decent too. I like .270 it all comes down to what you like shooting. A well placed shot in the vitals (heart/lungs/liver) will take it down.
3. Bow hunting is addictive. But with bow you can take a shot out to 75yds...but you have to be really good and really confident you don't have ANY limbs/twigs branches etc in that range...I don't shoot bow out past 40yds that's just my preference. With bow hunting you need lots of patience. Its a lot more difficult than rifle hunting. And you have lots more chance of spooking a deer in the 0-40yd range. Bow hunting is very rewarding but also more difficult/challenging than rifle hunting. I still get the adrenaline rush with bow or rifle...so you just have to realize shooting a target is totally different than shooting a live animal
4. Depending on weather you may need some water, hand/foot warmers, snack, climbing tree stand with harness...etc. I would suggest a deer carrier of some sort...if you plan on dragging a deer out there is nothing heavier than ANY dead deer! While it seems like not a big deal for the first 50 feet it feels like 300lbs after that (ask me how I know)if you get a deer cart, leave it in your vehicle and walk back to get it after you get a deer...it will be worth the money...Especially if you are by yourself...trust me!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
Welcome Sanders1996!

Glad you are interested in hunting! To try and answer/add to the current posts on your questions.

1. Most likely you CAN carry a rifle...like others said check with your state game wardens...typically the 18yr old age limit is for buying a rifle...pistols are typically 21.
2. 308 or 30-06 is plenty rifle for a deer. Depending on what kind of cover you are hunting in. 30-30 is decent too. I like .270 it all comes down to what you like shooting. A well placed shot in the vitals (heart/lungs/liver) will take it down.
3. Bow hunting is addictive. But with bow you can take a shot out to 75yds...but you have to be really good and really confident you don't have ANY limbs/twigs branches etc in that range...I don't shoot bow out past 40yds that's just my preference. With bow hunting you need lots of patience. Its a lot more difficult than rifle hunting. And you have lots more chance of spooking a deer in the 0-40yd range. Bow hunting is very rewarding but also more difficult/challenging than rifle hunting. I still get the adrenaline rush with bow or rifle...so you just have to realize shooting a target is totally different than shooting a live animal
4. Depending on weather you may need some water, hand/foot warmers, snack, climbing tree stand with harness...etc. I would suggest a deer carrier of some sort...if you plan on dragging a deer out there is nothing heavier than ANY dead deer! While it seems like not a big deal for the first 50 feet it feels like 300lbs after that (ask me how I know)if you get a deer cart, leave it in your vehicle and walk back to get it after you get a deer...it will be worth the money...Especially if you are by yourself...trust me!
I'll have to look into the carts and scout out the places I want to hunt at and see if they would be passable. I know one of the three probably isn't. It may even be tough to walk through with a backpack, but the people that own it (family) say there are many deer and turkey in there.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:25 AM
Fork Horn

You've gotten a lot of good advice already. I'll add a little.
Game carts can be great, especially in open woods or
where you have a trail. Get the solid tires that do not need air.

Also remember that the only thing that needs to be perfect
all the time is your attention to safety. Otherwise, relax
and have fun, that's what it's really all about---you will
learn as you go.

Good Luck
Old 03-22-2013, 04:44 AM
Spike

My BEST ADVICE is to get a copy of the big game rules and regs book from your local hunting shop (free), read them, read them again, and read them a third time. I would say understanding the rules and regulations is more important than anything when starting out, then start learning strategies. Read, read, read!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sanders1996
I'll have to look into the carts and scout out the places I want to hunt at and see if they would be passable. I know one of the three probably isn't. It may even be tough to walk through with a backpack, but the people that own it (family) say there are many deer and turkey in there.
If you know your way around the area you are hunting clear yourself a path...that may be a lot of work though...believe me if you plan on dragging a deer through stuff you can barely walk through you are going to have a hell of a time getting a deer out. Deer will surprise you where they can get into/through but that doesn't mean you should shoot them there. I like to find a place where I have access but also where I can take my cart in and get the deer out. I did drag a deer about 250-300yds or so and that wasn't fun.

If its family owned land you are hunting ask if you can clear a nice path...not cutting big trees down of course...Deer are somewhat lazy and once they find your cleared path they will continue using it. Set yourself up where you have a good shooting lane or clear yourself a shooting lane and you will have a better experience. Preparation, practice, patience and luck and you will harvest many deer...
Old 03-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sanders, Consider going to the regional forums and asking if anyone from your area might be willing to mentor you. If you lived any where near me I would be happy to show you the ropes. Good luck. Consider doing some Turkey hunting this spring it's fun and you can scout why your doing it.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
If you know your way around the area you are hunting clear yourself a path...that may be a lot of work though...believe me if you plan on dragging a deer through stuff you can barely walk through you are going to have a hell of a time getting a deer out. Deer will surprise you where they can get into/through but that doesn't mean you should shoot them there. I like to find a place where I have access but also where I can take my cart in and get the deer out. I did drag a deer about 250-300yds or so and that wasn't fun.

If its family owned land you are hunting ask if you can clear a nice path...not cutting big trees down of course...Deer are somewhat lazy and once they find your cleared path they will continue using it. Set yourself up where you have a good shooting lane or clear yourself a shooting lane and you will have a better experience. Preparation, practice, patience and luck and you will harvest many deer...
I had a family member show me a spot where he has found deer to frequent last year, no matter what I do I'm going to have to drag it ~150 meters. Any advice for that? Do those dragging harness things work well?
Old 03-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

The dragging harnesses do help. Bottom line
Is 150 meters isn't that far, after removing
Intestines you should be able to move any
Deer that far if your in reasonable shape
With or without a dragging harness. Just
Pull a few feet at a time---no rush, take
Breaks.

You need to think more about how to get
To the right spot, so the deer are not likely
To cross your trail when they are heading your
Way and so that the wind direction will be
Blowing in the right direction to carry your
Scent away from the direction you expect
The deer to come from. Using a tree
Stand to get above ground level can
Help improve your ability to see deer
And decrease their ability to smell you.

Have as many stand sites set up as you
Can. Pick the right spot according to wind direction
Get to your stand well before daylight and
Stay until dark. Set up stands well before the season
Begins and don't frequent the area during the last
Month before the season. Try not to hunt the
Same spot more than a couple times a season.

Don't overlook the 11am to 1pm time frame,
Bucks know most hunters are out of the woods
And will move during this time,especially
Near heavy cover/bedding areas.

Happy Hunting
Old 03-23-2013, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since everyone has hit on the basics I'll throw in a few things.A good headlight is nice and I would recommend a compass,things can look different in the dark.Watch some videos on blood trailing if you have never done it.Me I prefer leaf suit for camo,once you buy one suit you can wear anything under it depending on the weather.And remember safety and have a great time.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are several Hunting Sites specific to Missouri Sanders1996,lots of great info and Hunters local in Your area.Another good thing for dragging Deer is a simple decent size piece of plastic or even a plastic snow sled.Where we hunt we usually go get the small Farm Tractor and load the Deer up after field dressing,another place we walk in to where we hunt and if we shoot a Deer we go get the 4-Wheler and haul it out but don't use the 4-Wheeler to ride around on for pleasure or to get to our stand....we respect other Hunter's there and try not to disturb or scare Deer out of the area,just one of our rules to respect each other!

If possible You may be able to even drive a Truck closer to where You have harvested a Deer...those are 1 of many things You need to work out hopefully ahead of time to make the whole Hunting process easier or if You happen to Hunt with another Friend You simply help each other.

Bow Hunting as mentioned is even more time consuming and difficult in getting a Deer becasue You have to watch Your scent even more and the Deer will have to be much closer for a shot...but it is very rewarding and You get more time out in the Woods to hunt from Sept 15 to Jan 15.Cost of Archery Equipment can be just as or more costly than buying a Rifle depending on the brand and quality of Bow You buy!

Choosing a good affordable Rifle can take time and lots of research to decide whats right for You there are lots of different Calibers and style of Guns to choose from.You are allowed to Hunt with .223 Rifles but I would go a step up and consider a .243,it will have light recoil and does a fine Job,other's opt to go bigger but in the end good shot placement is needed to be efficent in any Rifle You choose!The 30-30 is a good choice if Your Hunting thicker woods and the recoil is light on it also and with the Hornady "LeveRevolution" bullets it will reach out a lot further,a 7mm-08 is a good Caliber with great knock-down power and light recoil....the 30-06,.308,25-06 and .270 will do a great job and have plenty of knock-down power with more recoil,most of these calibers can be tamed down to a lighter recoil when using the Remington managed recoil shells but need to be used in a Bolt-Action,Pump or Lever Action Rifle since it may not eject well out of a Sem-Automatic Rifle with the less powder and lighter recoiling!

Read up on all the different Caliber Rifles and hopefully You can get the chance to shoot a few different Rifle before buying one for Yourself?There are lots of great Rifles out there that are well made and affordable for someone new getting started into Hunting.Anything in a Magnum Caliber will usually have higher felt recoil and Factory Ammo will be pretty expensive so thats another thing You need to check inot...availability and price of Ammo!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 03-23-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.