Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
100% new to hunting.  Few questions! >

100% new to hunting. Few questions!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

100% new to hunting. Few questions!

Old 03-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Spike

Default 100% new to hunting. Few questions!

I'm new to hunting, no one in my family has hunted besides my father when he was young. He doesn't seem to have the desire to go hunting anymore.

I am currently 16 years of age, I will be 17 by the time the Missouri deer hunting season opens. I hope to go hunting during that season.

I have several questions, but I will only post a few.
  1. As I will be under 18, is it legal for me to carry a rifle in my truck for hunting?
  2. If I can, infact, go alone with a firearm, is a .308 or a 30-06 good for deer hunting?
  3. If I can not hunt with a firearm, what is the best way to learn to shoot a bow? (supposing I can legally carry them in my truck)
  4. Besides orange hat/vest and good warm clothes, what else would you consider a "necessity" while sitting out in the woods trying to get a deer??
Old 03-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Spike

Hello Sanders1996! I'm happy to hear you're interested in hunting. You'll find it to be a great experience and hunters are what support wildlife conservation.

I don't live in Missouri, so I'm not familiar with their rules and reg's, but the first thing you should do is attend a hunters education course. Visit the Missouri wildlife departments website for more info (http://mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/hunting-regulations).

At their website you'll find their rules and regs. Read them and become very familiar with them. It will be important that you know the rules and regs to avoid getting in trouble. Perhaps some fellow forum members are from Missouri and can help you with the rules and regs.

A .308 or 30-06 is plenty of gun for deer hunting. You could even go with a smaller caliber, such as a 243, but I wouldn't recommend going smaller than that. Also, don't take a shot longer than 100 yards until you've had a LOT of shooting practice. You don't want to take a high risk shot and wound the animal. Be sure that you can make a quality kill shot.

Check with local gun shops/clubs or hunting equipment stores. Many have a bow range. You can learn to shoot there. Don't shoot within city limits. You risk an arrow going off target and hurting someone. Also, a concerned neighbor might call the police! :-) Be careful.

Besides your blaze orange and warm camo clothes, a little patience is all you need. Sit back and enjoy nature. Good luck and good hunting!
Old 03-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Contact your game wardens. Mother will give you all the accurate information as it varies state to state.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:56 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jfarleyx
Hello Sanders1996! I'm happy to hear you're interested in hunting. You'll find it to be a great experience and hunters are what support wildlife conservation.

I don't live in Missouri, so I'm not familiar with their rules and reg's, but the first thing you should do is attend a hunters education course. Visit the Missouri wildlife departments website for more info (http://mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/hunting-regulations).

At their website you'll find their rules and regs. Read them and become very familiar with them. It will be important that you know the rules and regs to avoid getting in trouble. Perhaps some fellow forum members are from Missouri and can help you with the rules and regs.

A .308 or 30-06 is plenty of gun for deer hunting. You could even go with a smaller caliber, such as a 243, but I wouldn't recommend going smaller than that. Also, don't take a shot longer than 100 yards until you've had a LOT of shooting practice. You don't want to take a high risk shot and wound the animal. Be sure that you can make a quality kill shot.

Check with local gun shops/clubs or hunting equipment stores. Many have a bow range. You can learn to shoot there. Don't shoot within city limits. You risk an arrow going off target and hurting someone. Also, a concerned neighbor might call the police! :-) Be careful.

Besides your blaze orange and warm camo clothes, a little patience is all you need. Sit back and enjoy nature. Good luck and good hunting!
I thank you for your answers. I am currently about 30% done with my hunter education course online and I have my field day scheduled for next month.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by NebBuckHunter
Contact your game wardens. Mother will give you all the accurate information as it varies state to state.
I've called them several times and went to the offices, always an incredibly long time to wait when they never answer/leave. I guess if I don't find an aswer I will just have to stand in line and hope they don't leave

Thanks for the answer!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

It's good to have a plan about what you are going to do when you get one down. If you have never taken part in field dressing an animal, there are some good videos on youtube that show you how (several different methods or techniques, I'm sure they all work). Also have a plan on how you are going to get it out of the woods: ATV, cart, sled, couple of buddies? Only necessity--good sharp knife / Nice to have: rubber gloves, a small saw (depending on how you field dress them), couple paper towels. (I also think the butt-out tool from Hunter's Specialties is one of the best $10 I ever spent) Good Luck.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sanders1996
I'm new to hunting, no one in my family has hunted besides my father when he was young. He doesn't seem to have the desire to go hunting anymore.

I am currently 16 years of age, I will be 17 by the time the Missouri deer hunting season opens. I hope to go hunting during that season.

I have several questions, but I will only post a few.
  1. As I will be under 18, is it legal for me to carry a rifle in my truck for hunting?
  2. If I can, infact, go alone with a firearm, is a .308 or a 30-06 good for deer hunting?
  3. If I can not hunt with a firearm, what is the best way to learn to shoot a bow? (supposing I can legally carry them in my truck)
  4. Besides orange hat/vest and good warm clothes, what else would you consider a "necessity" while sitting out in the woods trying to get a deer??
1. Check with your local warden.

2. Yes.

3. Best way to learn to shoot a bow is to go do it. Find an archery range/club near you and ask for a little help, people will usually be really willing to help a beginner getting into the sport. Also, check your state's laws, because you may need to take an addtional course in bowhunter safety in order to hunt.

4. Necessity? Not much really... you'll find out pretty quickly what you're missing if you are missing something. The main part to remember is that about 98% of the enjoyment of hunting is derived from being in the woods with your thoughts. The rest is just a bonus.

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Murdy
It's good to have a plan about what you are going to do when you get one down. If you have never taken part in field dressing an animal, there are some good videos on youtube that show you how (several different methods or techniques, I'm sure they all work). Also have a plan on how you are going to get it out of the woods: ATV, cart, sled, couple of buddies? Only necessity--good sharp knife / Nice to have: rubber gloves, a small saw (depending on how you field dress them), couple paper towels. (I also think the butt-out tool from Hunter's Specialties is one of the best $10 I ever spent) Good Luck.
Thank you for your answer. I have watched a few videos on the subject.
I will probably end up going alone on public land or private land that isn't passable for an ATV if I do go, so I will have to drag it out, I have a thing similar to
http://www.basspro.com/Hunters-Speci...product/49364/
Hanging in storage for some reason.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Psylocide
1. Check with your local warden.

2. Yes.

3. Best way to learn to shoot a bow is to go do it. Find an archery range/club near you and ask for a little help, people will usually be really willing to help a beginner getting into the sport. Also, check your state's laws, because you may need to take an addtional course in bowhunter safety in order to hunt.

4. Necessity? Not much really... you'll find out pretty quickly what you're missing if you are missing something. The main part to remember is that about 98% of the enjoyment of hunting is derived from being in the woods with your thoughts. The rest is just a bonus.

Good luck!
Thanks for the luck! I'll probably need it
I'm going to go to an archery club near me this weekend to get some more bow information.

I just don't want to get out there and need an important tool or something and not have it!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sanders1996
Thanks for the luck! I'll probably need it
I'm going to go to an archery club near me this weekend to get some more bow information.

I just don't want to get out there and need an important tool or something and not have it!
Best you can do is start talking to people like you're doing here... I'll second the recommendation of a good knife though. Start reading up on field-dressing deer as well, that info will come in handy if you end up needing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.