Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

thoughts on baiting deer

Old 03-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Spike

Default thoughts on baiting deer

just wondering what some of yalls thought are on feeders ect. and baiting deer. illegal here in alabama but not in mississippi or florida. friend of mine got a $500 ticket and i know its going on. personally disagree with it. thoughts............
Old 03-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the site!!!

I don't concern myself with how others hunt, nor what other state's restrictions are...I don't think it's really any of my business...

I just make sure I'm hunting legally...
Old 03-18-2013, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in the opposition camp... wouldn't catch me doing it or congratulating anyone on their baited deer.

There's a term for catching critters with bait, it's called 'fishing.'
Old 03-18-2013, 02:46 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Welcome to the forum. This is a bit of a controversial issue. There are bunch of other threads on this (to say the least). One big one is at http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whit...-response.html
Old 03-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was raised against it, and am still against it.
Should be illegal here. Its cheating.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

RR hit most of the objections many of us have for it and I'd also add that it makes the deer even more nocturnal than they already are, especially decent bucks.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

I use to bait when it was legal in our state but the state outlawed it a few years ago. I can honestly say that it didn't help me shoot anymore bucks but does could be shot at will. I didn't mind when they made it illegal because I've felt for a long time that I stood a better chance at some bone when it was natural. As far as bait piles spreading diseases, I would say there is a chance but I also feel that if you limited the amount of bait that was legal to put out, that would help. I would rather just hunt travel corridors than hunt bait but if it's legal in your state, no problem here.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yawn!!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by VTBoneCollector
I use to bait when it was legal in our state but the state outlawed it a few years ago. I can honestly say that it didn't help me shoot anymore bucks but does could be shot at will. I didn't mind when they made it illegal because I've felt for a long time that I stood a better chance at some bone when it was natural. As far as bait piles spreading diseases, I would say there is a chance but I also feel that if you limited the amount of bait that was legal to put out, that would help. I would rather just hunt travel corridors than hunt bait but if it's legal in your state, no problem here.

I've had the same results. We can bait here in SC. In the last 20 years that I've been hunting over bait off and on, I have shot one 6 point buck on the bait pile. I have had much better luck with bucks, hunting natural trails and funnels. I still put out a feeder or two for the kids or newbys who want to shoot their first deer.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out MZS post, its one of the many posts on it. If you want a few days of reading, go to the search button and type in "Baiting" and enjoy, there is a LOT of people who disagree on it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.