Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

thoughts on baiting deer

Old 03-20-2013, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy
It's true food plots have collateral benefits for other wildlife, and it's also true that baiting can have collateral detriments--like disease transmission. But it seems to me from a hunting perspective, they both serve the same function, to lure an animal in for a shot. If it's not impressive to shoot a deer lured in by bait, I can't see how it's impressive to shoot one lured in by a plot, regardless of any benefits to other wildlife.
(I have no ethical problem with baiting, grew up where it was legal, and have done so. I now live in an area where CWD is present and believe it should be illegal here to reduce the spread of that disease.)
I just don't see the benefits of baiting outside of getting the shot.

Food plots, on the other hand, provide multiple benefits to several species of wildlife and that just makes it different to me. I know people that have done a lot of work on food plots and the amount of animals they draw is amazing. It's just great to see native wildlife thriving in any habitat, and giving them a place to do so is an honorable thing, imo.

Fundamentally, the two are the same, but much different in the way that I perceive them.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:56 AM
Spike

wow this thread has blown up since i last checked it. and lots of other threads. great discussion. i appreiciate the responses.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

wow this thread has blown up since i last checked it.
Start a thread about hunting over bait behind a high fence wearing scent lok using a crossbow shooting rages and a guide that's a gay atheist and approves of abortion then step back and see what happens.

Last edited by Charlie P; 03-20-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Charlie P
Start a thread about hunting over bait behind a high fence using a crossbow and a guide that's a gay atheist and approves of abortion then step back and see what happens.
Lol.

/tenchar
Old 03-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Too much Baiting makes deer go nocturnal. I have 10 yrs of trail cam pics to show that bait makes them move at night and sit and sllep all day in the sun. Very hard to hunt deer when they have a belly full of corn in their belly. We have been hunting deeper and deeper in the northern Wis. woods to get away from baiters.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default If you bait for deer...

and you only hunt where you bait, waiting for long periods, and you don't see a deer or a deer worth shooting, in say five hunts, where do you hunt for the next five times? When would the boredom exceed the use of bait?
I've wondered about that?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:38 AM
Typical Buck

I bait my steer every morning up until I put him in the meat cooler.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I still don't see a problem with baiting with the exception of spreading CWD....deer are always going to the "kitchen" or from the "kitchen" whether food plot or a pile of corn...regardless if theres "bait" where you hunt that's where the deer are going...
Old 03-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you're baiting to shoot a trophy buck, meanwhile you shoot dinks and immature deer and wonder why you never get a shot a big trophy buck, I think re-evaluating your hunting skills would do you more good than "baiting"

I also could kinda care less if it's legal in your state and you want to, go for it.

I'd prefer a big food plot or multiple food plots over a feeder/baits.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't want to known as a Master Baiter, but that's just me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.