Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How Did Native Americans Hunt Deer? >

How Did Native Americans Hunt Deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How Did Native Americans Hunt Deer?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Beard Buster
Another interesting point to consider is the fact that game was not as used to seeing people and I am guessing was not as weary of them. The Native Americans were in general very sparsely populated.
Depended on the location, some places it was a metropolis.

3Seasons is correct though in all his comments, and the animals probably died alot more painful frantic deaths they do today. We dont necessarily need these animals to survive, the Native Americans if they didn't catch it, well then they didnt eat.

Originally Posted by Grizzl
Snares across trails. Pretty easy..just like rabbits
Booby-traps, pungi sticks..anything to break legs
AND they did have firearms eventually.
Mostly the just ate buffalo who were "easy" to ride next to and arrow. (thats why the US Gov't slaughtered the buffalo to deprive the tribes of their ability to feed themselves and thus HAVE to seek "assistance" from the US Gov't or Starve.
Hehe Buffalo wasnt everywhere, youre talking more of the tribes near the Dakotas.

But yea, it wasnt uncommon for Native Americans to run hundreds of Buffalo off a cliff in the areas they existed. NW Native Americans did alot more Fishing. Some based alot of their food of agricultural. But it was literally as much as they could get for the least amount of work. We oftentimes think of them as living among nature and living with a smaller footprint than the european settlers who colonized the Americas, but, in truth, they cleared out vast expanses of land and killed alot of animals. They switched to guns because it was alot more effective which = more food.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:23 AM
Typical Buck

You have to consider the deer are different now. When I started bow hunting you could walk around and kill deer during the early archery season. Now the pressure is so bad it has turned a lot of them nocturnal. I have seen deer are starting to look up in trees when they get a wiff of human scent. It was a lot different 40 years ago. I would think 140 years ago it was really different.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Buffalo were in the Carolina's until the mid-1700...Boone hunted them in Kentucky...
Old 01-13-2013, 01:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Read some years ago

that a tribe in the east would clear a small area in the forest, and make it into a small " natural food plot area" , using that to attract deer.

In the South, they used fire to clear areas of heavy vegitation and that would attract deer to the new growth.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

humans have the capability to run for long distances. back then they ran their prey down. Deer can run fast, but only for short distances. humans would literally run down their prey.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

It isn't hard to kill game without game laws, they had no game laws. How hard is to kill a deer at night?
Old 01-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Remnard
humans have the capability to run for long distances. back then they ran their prey down. Deer can run fast, but only for short distances. humans would literally run down their prey.
Are you saying at some point in history man had better endurance then a wild animal?i dont buy that
Old 01-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Typical Buck

And since when can deer only run fast for short distances?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by skinnnner
And since when can deer only run fast for short distances?
Heart and lung capacity,ability to provide oxygen at a high rate of consumption . White tail only good for a short distance.
Given the right terrain deer can be tired out by any one capable of long distance running. Deer must be steadily pursued and not allowed to rest. And yes i did run a deer till it dropped in the snow twice before leaving it. That was long ago and when i had two legs. Cornered others in fence corners. No i did not kill them but a rock would have sufficed on one.

How far have you ever chased one? Even not running get where you can stay on the same animal (not easy to do,area and snow both important) at a good pace and keep it moving. When you see the reaction hours later i hope you don,t like it .besides your facing a stressed animal as far as quality eats.
Not a concern in our not so distant past.

Last edited by monoped; 01-13-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by monoped
Heart and lung capacity,ability to provide oxygen at a high rate of consumption . White tail only good for a short distance.
Given the right terrain deer can be tired out by any one capable of long distance running. Deer must be steadily pursued and not allowed to rest.

How far have you ever chased one? Even not running get where you can stay on the same animal (not easy to do,area and snow both important) at a good pace and keep it moving. When you see the reaction hours later i hope you don,t like it .besides your facing a stressed animal as far as quality eats.
Not a concern in our not so distant past.
So your saying under the right terrain a human can chase down a deer?lol!!still not buying that by the way iv never tried to chase down a deer but iv seen on many occasions deer run close to a mile with no signs of slowing down,i dont know of anyone capable of covering as much ground so fast.deer dont run short distances because thats all they are capable of they just run untill they feel like they have escaped danger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.