Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How Did Native Americans Hunt Deer? >

How Did Native Americans Hunt Deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How Did Native Americans Hunt Deer?

Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Spike

Yea, most of what people have already mentioned, plus a lot of hunting techniques done today are somewhat based off of traditional Native American practices. But two tribes living next to each other could hunt in completely different ways, so it really does depend. I like this site: http://www.bullsandbeavers.com/2010/...ed-traditions/ talking more about the respect of hunting and such.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Their methodology was probably quite simple:

The most amount of meat for the least amount of effort.

This has been true since humankind began hunting as a way of survival.

Face it, primitive peoples were not concerned with fair chase, ethical shots, GPS, or 4 wheel drive.

They hunted to eat.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:07 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

I have seen this referenced in a few places. Using a deer hide with head as a cape to disguise one's self. The hunter becomes a decoy. See painting of this at http://www.jackpaluh.com/da_main.html Definitely would not want to try this during the gun season!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Typical Buck

Question I don't have any ":first hand knowledge"

But I've heard the "yarding" theory here in Michigan more than a few times. Chase them into a corral type structure and then bow and arrow.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MZS
Here is an interesting account. http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/...chapter03.html Don't know how much of this was practiced in days long ago.
Thanks, I enjoyed reading that. Very interesting.

I think I will pass on the part about bobbing thru the bushes with a buck hat on though.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 3seasons
Their methodology was probably quite simple:

The most amount of meat for the least amount of effort.

This has been true since humankind began hunting as a way of survival.

Face it, primitive peoples were not concerned with fair chase, ethical shots, GPS, or 4 wheel drive.

They hunted to eat.
X2 Survive at all cost
Old 01-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

Another interesting point to consider is the fact that game was not as used to seeing people and I am guessing was not as weary of them. The Native Americans were in general very sparsely populated.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cahokia Mounds near me has a leg bone of a deer with the flint point still imbedded in it. Not much help with the question, but very cool none the less.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

I have heard that around here they actually did more trapping that anything else. The used pits and big snares to catch them and then dispatch them however they saw fit. I an not sure how true it is but I heard some used poisoned arrows and spears as well
Old 01-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

I have never researched but does anybody know what deer populations were like way back them. I know my grandfather used to tell me that in the early to mid 1900's you would go years and never see a deer in the part of Indiana he grew up in. Turkey's will likely be the same way. There was a time were wild turkeys in east central Indiana were unheard of, now most counties have them.

I too have seen images of hunters with a deer cape on their back trying to sneak into a herd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.