Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Can i hunt it deer with primitive 35# bow
Yes i can
59.38%
No i can't
40.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Can i hunt with this?

Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gunplummer
My state does not even have a draw weight for deer or bear listed. Turkey is 35# for some reason. I have run into Game Wardens in the field and they were quite curious about the self bows but never asked poundage. I hunted in Maryland too with the same results. What do you goofballs think, that the draw weight is certified on the bow with a calibration sticker? Common markings on "Store bought" longbows and recurves is just writing on the bow with ink. A lot of assembly line woods were stamped with metal stamps into the wood.
Worry about the spine weight of an arrow? We are talking 35# here. Deputy Clown, I am one idiot that knows what he is talking about when it comes to old bows.
this is from 2011-12 regs for PA
Bow - A device for launching an arrow, which derives its propulsive energy
solely from the bending and recovery of two limbs. The energy used to
propel the arrow may not be derived from another source. These limitations
shall not exclude the mechanical leverage advantage provided by eccentric
wheels or cams so long as the energy stored in the bend limbs of the
bow is the sole result of a single, continuous and direct pulling effort by the
shooter. No track, trough, channel or other device capable of mechanically
holding the bow at full or partial draw shall be attached to the bow. The
bowstring must be drawn, held and released as a direct and conscious action
by the shooter. Release shall be accomplished by either relaxing the tension
of the fingers or triggering the release action of a manually held release aid.
Bow shall have a peak draw weight not less than 35 pounds.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

I was correct. Goofballs. A "Self bow" is a bow made from a single piece of wood with no added backing. Now velocity determines poundage? Have either of you ever even shot a bow? Let the kid alone. At least he is trying to do something instead of playing video games.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:44 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BP_Niccum
Yes your showing your intelligence..I can cut a piece of limb of a tree and tie a sting to both sides and call it a self made bow it may pull at 35lbs but depending on the limb im using it dosnt mean its going to shoot the arrow at enough speed to kill anything with it. SO without knowing what was used to build this "self made bow" its hard to say weather it will kill anything or not without understanding the velocity. You myfriend (Gunplummber) are the goofball and yes this is an opinion forum but passing bad advise only makes bad things happen. Please understand you playing keyboard lawyer, can have a bad effect on new hunters who take your word for the golden rule. Jurassic park did you check out the site I mentioned to you in my previose post?

Old bows are not self made bows so you have no idea what your talking about. Deputey Doggs again is in the right.
Yes,i check it-minimal draw weight is 35#.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Yes,i check it-minimal draw weight is 35#.
Check out PaleoPlanet.com our you can google it bud its got lots of awesome selfmade bows and people who are into doing it old way.
I love looking through there and seeing how awesome they are some of these self made bows are just pieces of art man.

Not all wood is created equal for purposes of archery, you can definatly make a primative bow to kill deer it depends on what you use and how you use it. This forum is awesome place but if you looking for help in the primative world you go to go to where the primative practitioners are. Id like to see your bow post some pics of it!

Last edited by BP_Niccum; 01-08-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BP_Niccum
Check out PaleoPlanet.com our you can google it bud its got lots of awesome selfmade bows and people who are into doing it old way.
I love looking through there and seeing how awesome they are some of these self made bows are just pieces of art man.

Not all wood is created equal for purposes of archery, you can definatly make a primative bow to kill deer it depends on what you use and how you use it. This forum is awesome place but if you looking for help in the primative world you go to go to where the primative practitioners are. Id like to see your bow post some pics of it!
I know for that forum,thanks,
I will also put pictures of bow in month or two because i don't have camera at the moment.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hand made bow

Hey I'd like to see some pics of your bow too.

Be sure to come back when you have a few.

Gunplummer... when you start shaving, come back and [try to] insult me again.

Nic... gonna look up that PaleoPlanet.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default DD

Originally Posted by DeppedyDogg
Hey I'd like to see some pics of your bow too.

Be sure to come back when you have a few.

Gunplummer... when you start shaving, come back and [try to] insult me again.

Nic... gonna look up that PaleoPlanet.
DD its pritty cool let me know what you think.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
I know for that forum,thanks,
I will also put pictures of bow in month or two because i don't have camera at the moment.
Alrighty I will wait, but dont make me wait to long! I just love primative set ups.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Spike

And you have to consider that when they set the minimun at 35 lbs they are banking on the fact of a compound bow with cams which will add fps to that bow which your's won't have. You could try it just afraid all you would be doing is wounding deer or worse killing it after a long bleed out in which you probably won't find it.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:33 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by gamsmith
And you have to consider that when they set the minimun at 35 lbs they are banking on the fact of a compound bow with cams which will add fps to that bow which your's won't have. You could try it just afraid all you would be doing is wounding deer or worse killing it after a long bleed out in which you probably won't find it.
Like i said before,i don't planing to hunt.
Question that i ask was theoretical.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.