Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Can i hunt it deer with primitive 35# bow
Yes i can
59.38%
No i can't
40.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Can i hunt with this?

Old 01-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Spike

Default Can i hunt with this?

Hello everybody,

I just made 35# primitive bow (natural materials only),and i was wondering:can i kill whitetail from 15 yards with single shot,and can i hit it anywhere or vital organs only?

Thank you

Last edited by Jurassic Park; 01-04-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default State

Depends on the Laws of the State you wish to hunt in.

I know there is a minimum draw weight for archery in my state and the few other States I hunt. 35# is well below that number.

I just re-read your question, it had two parts.
Yes, you must hit vitals otherwise you are just wounding him.
I suggest you read up on hunting Whitetails and the game laws of your State.
Take a hunter safety course.

Read these pages, especially the Archery pages.

Last edited by DeppedyDogg; 01-04-2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Enhancement
Old 01-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

yea 35 isnt going to be legal everywhere. Could you...possibly depends on how much power your getting out of it. and what you were shooting for arrows. Small game and birds you got a heck of a bow.

No bow hunter can hit anywhere, and your vital organs are coverd with ribs and so its a chance you arrow ill hit perfect but id say more likly you would lose all your volocity at that low of weight hitting any bone and it wouldnt break a rib or go deep enough to do vital damage. min 45lbs of whitetale. 300 win mag you can hit anywhere still isnt ethical or sportman like.

Last edited by BP_Niccum; 01-04-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Banned

In ny and pa,
35# is the legal minimum.
So yes you can.
But I would be wary with 35# on a deer,
First, not sure how game officials determine if your bow is legal if it comes up in the field.
Shots have to be precise and close.
Any mishap and your just injuring the deer.
If you don't fully draw it back, even off by an inch it will reduce the poundage.
Should check the bow weight often to make sure it maintains 35#.

35# bow I would use for small game and only use it on bigger game is rare oppurtunity arose.
I wouldn't make it a bow soley for deer.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Spike

And if i made 40# primitive bow,would that help at all?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

my home state of NJ 35# is the lowest that one can hunt with
Old 01-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

Could be again it depends on how much it slings the arrow not how much it takes to pull it back. The 35lb rule wasnt made for selfmade bows take it to your local bow shop and shoot a few arrows threw the FPS machine and tell us what it says.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure You shoot a strong arrow too....too much pounage on the Bow and if You use weak homemade wooden arrows they could very well splinter and go threw the side of Your arm or wrist area....take that into consideration also!

Be careful making and using a Homemade Bow!

Most Arrows are rated...carbon arrows have ratings written on them,mine states 50/60 rating and a higher rating means You can set the pounage on Your Bow higher and that You can use that certain arrow up to so many pounds of pull You set Your Bow at!My Compound Bow is set at around 55 pounds so You need an Arrow rated at around 50/60....if I would turn the poundage up to 70lb Pull then I need to put my other arrows aside and buy arrows with a higher rating or chance having the smaller rated arrows break and splinter!

Be sure to always check Your Arrows before using them for any stress cracks or worn area's that may cause them to break also.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:45 AM
Typical Buck

You are getting a lot of worthless information here. I still hunt with either my recurve or long bow and that is what I always used. I made a few self bows over the years and hunted with them. 35# is legal in my state. My recurve is only 40# and it has gotten a few deer for me. I would bump it up to 40# with some kind of backing or start over. Use 2 blade heads and take side shots through the lungs. I have had quite a few pass all the way through with a 40# bow. Never had a deer go over 65-70 yards that way. Don't bother going to a bow shop, they won't know what you are talking about anyway. Do some reading. "Can I kill whitetails with a single shot?" It would be a miracle if you got more than one shot.

Last edited by Gunplummer; 01-05-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

"You are getting a lot of worthless information here."

Really! They are telling him to go up to 40#-45# to be assured he has enough weight to met the laws of about any state for deer and to make sure he has enough fps and energy to do the job. You have then expanded on that and advised what broadhead you think is best based on your experience. So what is all the worthless information?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.