Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Thoughts on Buck Bedding and Staging Areas Here? >

Thoughts on Buck Bedding and Staging Areas Here?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Thoughts on Buck Bedding and Staging Areas Here?

Old 01-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Spike

Default Thoughts on Buck Bedding and Staging Areas Here?

I went up and scouted our property with the snow. I admit I don't really know what's going on at the southernmost border and need to check that out later.

On these different views of the property the yellow lines are pretty much the main deer trails. As buckmastr correctly guessed they seem to wonder along the edge of the marsh heavily.

The borders here are the two straight roads and the two straight lines drawn on the map, so each view contains some neighboring property.

The main forest area, despite the trees, is pretty boggy and doesn't have oaks or anything. It's that dense, short-tree, tangly, boggy crap which is pretty much why it probably has so many beds. Most of what I saw are probably doe beds though.

Where do you think the big bucks would bed/stage here?

Main overview:

Marsh view:

Southern view:
Old 01-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Spike

For clarification, I've labeled the swamp here. It's full of that super high grass and water up to about your knees.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Find the nastiest, heaviest cover around the area even if you have to wade water that would be belly deep on a deer to get there and that's probably where the biggest bucks will be found. We have places like that up in Michigan that they will wade in until they find a high spot to lay on and there is absolutely no way to approach them without them knowing it. You also need to remember that a big buck will not normally follow the trail that does and smaller bucks are using unless it;s during the rut and he;s out cruising for does.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Find the nastiest, heaviest cover around the area even if you have to wade water that would be belly deep on a deer to get there and that's probably where the biggest bucks will be found. We have places like that up in Michigan that they will wade in until they find a high spot to lay on and there is absolutely no way to approach them without them knowing it. You also need to remember that a big buck will not normally follow the trail that does and smaller bucks are using unless it;s during the rut and he;s out cruising for does.

Yeah, this is Minnesota, so it's probably similar.

There are some scattered trees in the swamp, but I don't know if the ground is really that much higher. It would be pretty wet for him if he went to the trees out the middle of it. I'm not sure if I'd call any of them "islands" in the deer hunting sense of the word.

I feel like they have too many bed options in here that are thick and impossible to access. I'm not really sure where to hit them outside of a few funnels leading to and from.

Last edited by Clevinger; 01-03-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's the exact problem I have up in northern MI where my hunting property is located. There is absolutely no way you can pattern a buck because of so many bedding areas and places they can feed. The only buck I've ever seen more than once up there since I bought the place in 1973 was a spike a few years ago that I ended up shooting when he came out the last night of the season after I had passed on him a couple nights before that out of the same treestand.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
That's the exact problem I have up in northern MI where my hunting property is located. There is absolutely no way you can pattern a buck because of so many bedding areas and places they can feed. The only buck I've ever seen more than once up there since I bought the place in 1973 was a spike a few years ago that I ended up shooting when he came out the last night of the season after I had passed on him a couple nights before that out of the same treestand.
I got a 12 pointer with a rifle on this property this year, but it was during the rut and probably lucky in the right-place/right-time sense. I didn't pattern him or anything.

I am trying to get into bow hunting for next season and would actually like to target one of these guys.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:26 AM
Spike

The best way to find were your big bucks are bedding is to walk the thicker parts of your property (south facing slops if you have them). Winter with snow in the north will help. What you’re looking for are single beds that have rubs around it.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Me?

I'd stalk North/NW of the 'beds" you have marked.

I'd find lone trees in marshy/boggy areas. Put on hip waders and slog thru to a few of these trees. Most likely, that tree is on whatever high spot in that swamp - a likely bedding spot for a lone wary buck. May be able to stalk one midday if you are quiet and the wind is right.

Also: I'd cover the 'Need to Scout' area.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Spike

Thanks for the input, guys.

The area I have marked as "beds" are definitely doe beds. Tons of them.

Bucks are mysterious to me, as far as their bedding practices.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Another thought

Never too late to use Trail Cameras.

Once you find a buck, then he's in your sights. Keep relocating your camera to 'follow him around'.

Eventually you will be able to identify his bedding habits.

Use scent proof clothing, rubber boots, scentless soap, etc. so as to NOT affect his habits or at least, to have as minimal an impact on those habits.

Now is prime time to discover large buck habits with that wonderful piece of technology. Even if only for next years' endeavors!