Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

which rifle?

Old 12-14-2012, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by NebBuckHunter
I am really leaning towards the weatherby Vanguard in stainless 25-06. Handled one the other day. Didnt pull the trigger in it cause the wife would kill me if I came home with a new gun this close to Christmas....
Nice choice, my Vanguard lives up to the sub MOA hype and the trigger is crisp.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Simply put, you CANNOT beat a Vanguard for the money. Great gun.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Well guys, I was set on the weatherby vanguard 2, in 25-06. I was really looking at a stainless barrel, and just discovered they do not make the vanguard 2 stainless in a 25-06.

So now here is the dilemma. I can get the blued barrel at cabelas right now for $449.

I also have been looking at the savage weather warrior (stainless) in 25-06 for like $549.

What are you opinions between these guns? I have a savage and have messed with the weather warrior in the store. Well made rifles. I also like the weatherby. Which way would you guys go?

Ill probably end up replacing the ugly synthetic stocks sometime down the road anyways with a replacement wood stock....
Old 12-23-2012, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

Ill add that the savage come with a Nikon 3-9 BDC scope, while the weatherby does not have a scope.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another chunk of advice. You have a great choice. The 7 mm Rem. Mag. is about as wicked a long range shooter as you can come across for medium game. You can choose a lighter bullet. such as a 130 gr. and see if it'll group. As long as you shy away from any of the bullets that expand rapidly it'll still kill quicklly and there will not be so much tissue damage.

Now if you are of a mind to buy a new rifle, hey why not ? I agree with others that the 280 Rem. is a good round, but it is essentially a 270 Win. and ammo around here is not all that easy to find, and certainly not many different choices. Hand loading the 280 Rem. will give you a ton of good antelope choices. The 25.06 Rem. is also a fine choice for medium game, but again the factory ammo may be a bit difficult to find in many localities and choices are often limited. A 100 - 120 gr. bullet out of this carttridge would be a fine choice.

The suggestion to look at a 7mm/08 Rem. is good. Nice performing short action cartridge and certainly suitable for medium game. Again, might be a bit difficult to find ammo if you are in "Two Dot", but not a bad way to go.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Typical Buck

Why not look at a remington mountain rifle if you want a wood stock. Sounds like you are going to spend more money if you actually want a wood stock.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the Savage Model 11 GCNS in 7mm-08,great looking woodstock with the Accu-trigger....thats what I'm Hunting Deer with...not sure about Coyotes since it may leave a pretty good size hole?

If You wanting to shoot Antelope and Coyotes why not consider a .243 Browning A-Bolt Hunt or the X-Bolt?
Old 12-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

I have a dedicated coyote rifle in my savage BVSS in 22-250. The 25-06 caliber fits nicely between the 22-250 and the 7mm mag that I currently use. I handled the savage and weatherby, as well as a tikka t3 today and the weatherby by far had the best trigger. Followed by the savage accutrigger.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Spike

+1 On the .45-70, I absolutely love my Marlin 1895 SDG.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Catus Magnus
Too much overlap between 300 Savage & 7mm Mag, to justify the cartridges mentioned. What NebBuckHunter needs is something really cool, and diff class of cartridge. I say... Marlin 1895 in 45/70.

no overlap there! And it'll look really cool
Agreed!!!