Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer stuck under your stand!

Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer stuck under your stand!

Yesterday afternoon 15 min before dark I had 2 young does come out at about 100 yards and feed in a food plot down the road in front of me. They continued feeding straight to me until they were right at me. One deer started moving down another plot to my left and the other one fed right under me! I could have spit on the deer it was so close. My question is that what do you guys do to move these deer off without giving yourself up when you are stuck in the stand after dark? I tried making small noise, clicking my thermacell, whistling, and even had coyotes howling close by but it did not phase these two deer!
Old 12-04-2012, 02:35 AM
Spike

That's a hard one. I have had this happen before and so have most hunters/friends I know. One thing for sure, I wait until dark. After that, I have done just what you did. I make a few noises (subtle). One thing that worked was I crabed a branch from the tree and dropped it. It sounded natural, but at the same time, it was enough to move them out. Creep out of the stand and make your way back. If you know where they went, take a different path around them to get back to the truck. Bottom liine is, deer are aware of everything and they can see pretty well at night form what I have read, so all you can do is be patient. Two doe won't spoil your stand at the end of the day though. Plenty of deer won't see you leave and will be back around.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard of people carrying a few small rocks or gravel in their pockets to toss from the stand in this situation.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:08 AM
Spike

Ya I had this happen the other night. I just went about my business and started packing up my gear. Had 3 within 30 yards - pitch black out. I made couple small noises and I heard one get spooked. As I started climbing down one started walking back in toward me. I shined my light on it hoping to spook it - it never did and again kept walking in closer. Once I got on ground I kicked a branch and I heard them take off. - Went back to hunt this stand 6 days later (stand has been red hot) and I didnt see a thing. Maybe I ruined it - I dont know..
Old 12-04-2012, 04:32 AM
Fork Horn

jump out and shank her! Not really if it is a couple does I normally just make one quiet blow and that will scatter them but since that have no clue where it came from or why I don't think it bothers them for too long. Deer blow all the time so one little blow isn't going to freak them out too bad.