Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

does this make sense?

Old 11-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Spike

Default does this make sense?

Does it make sense that the rut would just now be kicking off?
I'm in northwest NC and today without being in the woods i saw a buck chasing does down the street in town haha. My neighbor also bagged a decent buck today and says that he's been seeing more deer lately.

I'm pretty new to hunting but i thought that the rut would be done by now or at least nearing the end.

Last edited by JfO9; 11-28-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Same here in Eastern NC. Lots of activity this week. I have a nice one outside at the skinning pole as I type.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not really just now getting going in NC, it's been going on for a few weeks...Look at some of the post over at nchuntandfish.com and you'll see bucks that have been in rut for a few weeks...

Typically the rut in eastern NC will run a few weeks earlier than that in western NC...
Old 11-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Not really just now getting going in NC, it's been going on for a few weeks...Look at some of the post over at nchuntandfish.com and you'll see bucks that have been in rut for a few weeks...

Typically the rut in eastern NC will run a few weeks earlier than that in western NC...
I'm a little confused by the post. Are you saying that its late for eastern nc making it about right for western nc or that it's just late all around? my buddy just shot a doe whos glands were just starting to get dark. About a week and a half or 2 weeks ago i got a scope on a group of 3 does. None of them were in yet judging by the color of the glands on the hind legs.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

It appears to be pretty much over here in northern Indiana...
Been seeing alot of does herded up with no bucks near. I did see a lone buck the other night then some does came out across the field. The buck paid no attention to them. I grunted a couple times and he wouldn't even look my direction. He then just walked off opposite direction of the does. Too bad he wasn't in rage, he as a big bodied deer.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Buckhunter46755
It appears to be pretty much over here in northern Indiana...
Been seeing alot of does herded up with no bucks near. I did see a lone buck the other night then some does came out across the field. The buck paid no attention to them. I grunted a couple times and he wouldn't even look my direction. He then just walked off opposite direction of the does. Too bad he wasn't in rage, he as a big bodied deer.
I agree northern Indiana is done. Been slow
Old 11-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Spike

Also in eastern nc and its has been super slow but starting to pick up but last year it seemed to have already started this time of year. This seems like the weekend to be in the woods unfortunately ill be stuck at work, good luck
Old 11-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Spike

I'm just now getting back into deer hunting after a 6-7 year hiatus but it seems like here in Central VA it is now peaking, or just did.

We're seeing Bucks just about every night near roads. One was in the woods behind my house last weekend shadowing a doe and a couple of fawns. We see does and fawns pop out of the woods here pretty often but rarely any bucks. He was probably around 30 feet away before he finally saw me crouching down on my deck.

Wife and I saw real healthy 8 point cross the road right in front of us last night on the way to buy a lottery ticket. He sorta watched us while we slowed down to gawk at him then took off. He was a REAL good looking deer, probably 3.5 yrs and healthy looking. Hope he gets to mate a bunch before someone takes him or runs him over.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's still going a little here in MT which is really weird. Sun drove past two nice bucks bedded with a doe in next to the road. Almost hit a small buck yesterday chasing a doe down the middle of the road. Filled my tag a little too soon this year I think.