Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question about cold fronts

Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Spike

Default Question about cold fronts

Its been very warm here the last week even getting close to the 80s for a few days. Today a front is moving through and brought a lot of rain from about 9am-11am and we havent gotten any rain in over a week. Its already dropped into the low 50s and is supposed to hit 30s during the night and stay in the 40s till noon tomorrow.

Should I hunt this afternoon even if its very overcast with a decent wind and still might rain some more? I know you cant kill deer from your couch but I have heard fronts are terrible for hunting until they blow through as they will usually lay up until it passes.

Tomorrow morning supposed to be clear, light wind, and low temps around 35-45 until noon. Definitely packing a lunch for that as they should be moving a lot. Because of the high temps I havent seen hardly anything lately and Im hoping this cold will liven them up.

Last edited by Cypress32; 11-13-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Keep in mind for the future that all cold fronts come with crappy weather before the front and when it passes it is usually nice. Not necessarily clear skies. I'm not a Deer expert so I won't give my opinion on the Deer movement. But I heard when its windy they bed up.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

The "front" is already thru...now its just gonna get colder and colder.. If your off work and dont have any obligations to tend to....I would GO!!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go. They will be moving around, because I am sure that there will be other hunters pushing them. If you really know the area, hunt the bedding areas. It can be very productive.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

I hunted in the rain and wind on Nov. 3 here in Indiana and I had bucks grunting and chasing does. Not sure if the rut starts same time in your state or later than Indiana, but right now, I would be getting out unless its 20+ mph winds. Some rain and wind wont stop them from rutting unless its super high winds and extreme heavy rains. Get after them!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by redgreen
Go. They will be moving around, because I am sure that there will be other hunters pushing them. If you really know the area, hunt the bedding areas. It can be very productive.
OK I have 2 stands that over look pines and tall grass that are about waist-chest high. I always see tracks leading into them and since theres no food in there I guess I can assume they are bedding down there? Also when I hunt them in the mornings I just see deer randomly appear out of that stuff so I guess thats where they are bedding down.

Last edited by Cypress32; 11-13-2012 at 11:00 AM.