Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Solunar Tables useful or useless? >

Solunar Tables useful or useless?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Solunar Tables useful or useless?

Old 11-12-2012, 03:19 AM
Spike

Default Solunar Tables useful or useless?

OK last time the Solunar tables threw up 3-4 star ++++ ratings over the course of 4 days I hunted every day for 10 hours and never even saw a damn deer. Even moved around to different stands. Starting today and running till Thursday its 3-4 stars again. Im still going to hunt but should I waste my time again going all day long or should I just hunt the major times? Some of my stands arent the most comfortable and being in them all day kills my back and neck.

Also every deer I have killed in the past 3 years since I been looking at those tables has come on a 1 star day and not even close to the major time cause I record the day and time of every deer I shoot at. Do the same for when I see bucks even if its small ones I let walk so I might be able to predict when I will see them in a few years once they are bigger. Its like my deer also have internet and when they see 3-4 star ratings they know everyone and their brother is going to be in the woods with a gun so they run and hide because every 3-4 star rated day this season has been a complete bust.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:28 AM
Fork Horn

i just go and dont worry about them tables and charts, i know several people who work alot and when they see weather changes and the feeding times change they take off work to go, but dont have much better luck than just a randon hunt. IMO i think its junk but thats just my .02
Old 11-12-2012, 05:16 AM
Spike

Yea I think I will just stick to my normal times. The tables seem to be a waste of time. Obviosuly the deer dont have access to those tables so its not like they have a group meeting and go "OK guys the tables have today listed as 4 stars we all need to be stupid and just walk around in fields in plain view of everyone"

The only thing that seems to have affected my hunting was Daylight Savings time. It has completely ruined it. Same thing happened the last 3 years as well. Usually my last kill is around Halloween. Then time changes and *Poof* all the deer go Houdini. The thing that pisses me off is my cameras are showing deer feeding at 7pm which would have meant I would have seen them if the time hadnt changed.

Last edited by Cypress32; 11-12-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think a cold front is the biggest factor. If the weather is warm like it was for us this past Saturday (68 degrees), I think they are much less likely to move during daylight.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

Solar lunar info is only as good as the place you are hunting and pressure on the deer.

I use it with good luck I also couple it with barometric pressure changes.

Right now this time of year you throw out any and all thoughts cause you can't predict a deer in peak rut.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
I think a cold front is the biggest factor. If the weather is warm like it was for us this past Saturday (68 degrees), I think they are much less likely to move during daylight.
Yea I got in a stand where I usually see most of my daytime movement cause it overlooks both some 2 year old pines mixed with some tall grass and also my big cotton field. Deer love laying up in some cotton. But it was 80 with no breeze and I said hell with this. I dont care if the deer were having a parade in front of my stand it was just miserable. Not to mention if I shot one in that tall stuff im sure Mr. No legs would have been all in there as hot as it is.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Spike

Finally supposed to get down to the high 30s low 40s Wednesday Morning and stay in the 40s till noon and its been in the 70s for the last 4-5 days. I think they are going to be walking all over the place. Might have to pack a lunch. Now the hardest part will be trying to figure out which stand to hunt. Seen lots of doe activity on 2 of my cams but they are also close to stands that I havent seen a single deer at all season.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

I'm glad I read this cuz I had planned a day off later this month. Never have used the hunting app before it says that day would be great. But I think I will cancel it and save the day. Hunting this weekend. The app has one star but it has the minor and major feeding times so that's cool. This will be my first time using the app.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

One of the big deer research outfits just recently finished a lunar time table which says that the moon has NO effect when the deer move or the timing of the rut. So I threw out my lunar tables and hunt when I can whether it be the dark of the moon or light of the moon. These tests were done on free ranging deer and those under hunting pressure.