Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
new guy, tips on bringing in does >

new guy, tips on bringing in does

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new guy, tips on bringing in does

Old 11-12-2012, 04:22 AM
Spike

Default new guy, tips on bringing in does

Im new to deer hunting. I have been out a few times now with my rifle and bow. I have not gotten a deer yet. My question is there a way to call to a doe i see way out in the distance? Everything i look at online or in stores looks like it is for bringing in bucks. Dont get me wrong, i would love to tag a buck, but i really want to get a doe or 2 for meat. Is there a certain call to use, when I see them poking around way off in the woods? any scents to put out to get them closer? what best during rut, and also for bow hunting in dec and jan? any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

I'm sure someone will disagree, but there really is no easy way to lure deer to you, other than by baiting with corn (where legal), and that only works under certain circumstances. It makes more sense to try & get some kind of pattern on the deer, find where they travel, and hopefully set up close enough to get a shot.

Or get a rifle that can make 500 yard shots.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:59 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

As mentioned, figure out their patterns. Then set up so you are up wind of their travel route. Then get a nicely concealed place to wait for them. For gun hunting, set up 60 yds away or more from the trail so you can easily shoot without alerting them.

During the rut, you might be able to rattle a buck in and use something like Tinks as a scent attractant. Search for videos on this - there are many out there.

Last edited by MZS; 11-12-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

Fawn distress call will bring a doe in quick. Works everytime

Sounds like a baby crying and you have to put some emotion in it.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Night Crawler
Fawn distress call will bring a doe in quick. Works everytime

Sounds like a baby crying and you have to put some emotion in it.
Agreed!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

I like the fawn distress and fawn bleat calls. I mimiced a fawn distress by mouth just the other day and had a doe walk towards me, closing the gap from one hundred yards down to forty before she lost interest and walked off. If I had a distress call or bleater I feel confident that she would have come even closer. By the way I was standing in the open.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:54 AM
Spike

thanks guys. I might go get a fawn bleat. I really dont get a chance to do much scouting ahead of time. I see deer, just not where i need them to be! Thanks