Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best Hunting Bullet?

Old 11-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

I am shooting federal fusion 165 gr 308 @ $17.50 a box at dicks right now , with 3 bang flops last year no fragmentation and pulverized shoulder meat...
Old 11-16-2012, 04:22 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Fragmentation is not necessarily a bad thing. Traditional soft nosed hunting bullets...the semi jacketed type that are usually the "bargain" hunting ammo will perform very well in deer. They tend to expand well and transfer their energy to the animal. Delivering a shot from a gun that gives lots of ft/lb at x number of yds doesn't do much good if the bullet rips right thru the animal without actually transferring all that potential energy into actual delivered kinetic energy. As long as you get sufficient penetration for tissue damage, and the kinetic energy is delivered to the animal you should be able to achieve your objective. Fragmentation isn't really a problem so long as the bullet doesn't just disolve and deliver all the energy to a very small area without delivering a lethal wound. That is really unlikely to happen with traditional bullets....Not on deer sized game. They have really thin skin. Their skeletal system isn't all that tough compared to many other animals. The "bargain" bullets area also pretty accurate. Now I am talking bargain bullets but still by reputable manufacturers. the rounds I usually buy have been remington, winchester and federal. For the last couple years, walmart has had the federal for about 15 bucks or less a box. So that is what I have been using and the deer have not felt snubbed by my low price ammo that I kill them with. I do take this ammo to the range and make sure it's hitting where I think it should and I compare it to the other common brands. No difference in accuracy. If functions quite well. I think I am actually the limiting factor in my gun's performance. The weapon and bullet are capable of far more than I am.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Spike

My step brother works a federal and i can get 200 rounds for my .270 win weatherby vangaurd for a 100 bucks a big box. Its federals round that is like remingtons core lock its federals cheapest round but for how many i can get at a time you cant go wrong with the price and they work great short range and long. if any one thinks of the name for this box of ammo let me know. i just cant think of it right now.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:14 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MNwhitetail.270
if any one thinks of the name for this box of ammo let me know. i just cant think of it right now.

I believe it is the power shock. That's the one was talking about. works great for me.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

dpv - most defininitely, if the bullet doesn't open, little of the energy transfers. I think that is why I lost that buck, and why I now shoot something I know will open at all velocities.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Killed plenty of deer with rem core lokts and Winchester power points that's all I've ever used in 30-30 30-06 243 and 7mm mag and they do perfect.imo its all about where you put that bullet.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

I used to shoot the Ballistic Silvertips, but switched to the XP3's on my 300wsm.

On my shotgun, I was shooting the XP3's, but switched to the Hornady SST's.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

I use to shoot winchester silver tip boatails and they were a killer bullet. That said add another kill as of november 17 2012 430 pm bang flop at 170yds for federal fusions 308/165grn thats 7 in a row .I think its more about bullet placement and confidence in what your shooting . I for one want great expansion,giving the most energy transfer to soft tissue. 95 percent weight retension and full penatration... two holes make a better blood trail if they run. There is no magical bullet that fixes a bad shot.