HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Hunting Bullet?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 04:22 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Fragmentation is not necessarily a bad thing. Traditional soft nosed hunting bullets...the semi jacketed type that are usually the "bargain" hunting ammo will perform very well in deer. They tend to expand well and transfer their energy to the animal. Delivering a shot from a gun that gives lots of ft/lb at x number of yds doesn't do much good if the bullet rips right thru the animal without actually transferring all that potential energy into actual delivered kinetic energy. As long as you get sufficient penetration for tissue damage, and the kinetic energy is delivered to the animal you should be able to achieve your objective. Fragmentation isn't really a problem so long as the bullet doesn't just disolve and deliver all the energy to a very small area without delivering a lethal wound. That is really unlikely to happen with traditional bullets....Not on deer sized game. They have really thin skin. Their skeletal system isn't all that tough compared to many other animals. The "bargain" bullets area also pretty accurate. Now I am talking bargain bullets but still by reputable manufacturers. the rounds I usually buy have been remington, winchester and federal. For the last couple years, walmart has had the federal for about 15 bucks or less a box. So that is what I have been using and the deer have not felt snubbed by my low price ammo that I kill them with. I do take this ammo to the range and make sure it's hitting where I think it should and I compare it to the other common brands. No difference in accuracy. If functions quite well. I think I am actually the limiting factor in my gun's performance. The weapon and bullet are capable of far more than I am.