Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I have a couple questions....

Old 11-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Spike

Default I have a couple questions....

I have a couple of questions to ask. should I hang my scent wicks downwind or up wind? and I was thinking about using two scent drags to drag to my stand. one would have buck tarsal gland on it and the other would have doe in estrus, do you think this would work? also when i go hunting it is going to be the pre-rut.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

Scent to attract you want upwind to avoid your scent being detected,place it where you want deer to be for a shot. When dragging scent stay away from your stand(imagine a deer following it) and drag it upwind of your stand to where you want deer to find it,leave it there during your hunt.
A cover scent can be with you or a couple feet upwind.(skunk is a bummer).
Your choice of drag scent(s) seem alright,wear clean rubber boots with pants tucked in and don,t touch (leave your scent) on anything.
Keep in mind when choosing your path to drag,sometimes it gets found and followed backwards.
Scent being dragged can weaken from beginning to end,causing deer to follow stronger scent direction. So be sure path of drag offers a shot or two just in case.
Good luck.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Spike

thanks! what should i do if the wind is blowing to my side? becuase i cant move my tree stand.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

Ideally not hunt stand when wind is wrong for it.
Multiple sites for different winds a nice luxury.
If what blowing to your side means is a cross wind expect most deer to be using it to their advantage. Some travel upwind,some cross wind some downwind to monitor backtrail for predators at times. Just try not to be upwind of where deer want to be. Be mindfull of its direction ,often a buck comes in from downwind of a good set up anyway and surprise! They don,t all panic and run. Some check things out, others just keep on where they were headed. If their around people enough they don,t bolt every time they get a whiff. Often they need more than scent to be alarmed so they seek confirmation by any noise or movement. That's when they are in a jumpy mood,sometimes they relax.
Have fun, watch those deer they,ll teach you more than i can!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Spike

Scent to attract you want upwind to avoid your scent being detected
Old 11-02-2012, 01:03 AM
Spike

That is a great site! I saw the information is very usefule!

Old 11-02-2012, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

Scent to attract you want upwind ,to avoid your self(your body,breath,ect. Personal scent)being detected.