Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
where are the deer coming from >

where are the deer coming from

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

where are the deer coming from

Old 10-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Spike

Default where are the deer coming from

I have a stand where red dot is with the lines other red dot was thinking about putting deer blind up my land is the yellow my field isAlfalfa. The other land next to me is all corn still standing. I was kinda wondering where are the deer going to be coming from to feed? Do think my stands are in good spots.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

Rifle, archery?

Can we assume north is up?

Approx how many acres?

A bigger picture may be helpful so we can see where some bedding areas are they may be traveling to. From the picture, the main bedding area would be the trees I'd assume at the top, so I'd place a stand between there and he corn. But if there is a better bedding area south of the corn they may never have a reason to go up on our place. It all depends.

Is that your house near the left side? If I were you, I'd get real good with a rifle and sit on my front porch watching the alfalfa.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Spike

The land I hunt is outlined in red witch is 80 acres. The yellow is the neighbors. Witch is all corn still standing, green line are trails That I can tell been used. one green line by corn really been used almost like herd of cow been threw there. other green line all swamp and thickets. green dot where I found a deer i shot last yr. red dot in trees where i have a stand other thinking about putting a blind. I was wondering where do you think the deer are coming from? and bedding at.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

My guess is that the big bucks would be in the swamp and thickets. Seems like any big deer I've shot or seen or found dead, has been in some of the nastiest stuff you can find.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:57 AM
Fork Horn

From what I can tell, you don't really have many options. Your deer are bedding in the swamps & thickets (green) and wind direction is not in your favor most of the time. I would assume that more often than not that wind direction is going to be coming out of some sort of westernly direction...am I right? Your bedding is to the East! Your scent should be blowing straight into the bedding. You'll need to make sure you are 25' off the ground to minimize that from happening unless you have an East wind. Tuff situation if you ask me. If you can get a stand near the upper right hand corner of the lot, I would think that would be your best bet.

Let us know what direction the wind typically blows. If you do get an easternly wind, you would be better off somewhere near the bottom right hand corner of the lot. You may get some deer coming out of the timber to the west but your big mature deer should be bedding in the swamp/thickets to the east.

Just the way I see it based on your information anyhow.

Last edited by 7MMXBOLT; 10-29-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Spike

I would certainly want to have a clear view and be within reasonable shooting distance of those green lines near the swamp. Wind is working against you but in my experience if deer are in an area where they will come accross the scent of human they are not as nervous as those who rarely scent a human.