Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Frankenstorm

Old 10-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Frankenstorm

Just wanted to tell evryone to please be safe this weekend and the first part of next week. It looks as if hurricane Sandy is bearing down on my area and we might just take it on the chin here in Md. Weather service has now said its a 90% probability we are effected by this reincarnation of the 1991 Perfect Storm. My prayers will be with everyone having to deal with this and I hope you and your family will get thru it unharmed. Please be safe and everyone take care.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

Good luck there in Frederick. We are going to get it here in Richmond too. VA Beach will get hit hard. as well as all the Ocean Front areas.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Be safe guys
Old 10-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

HERE IT COMES !!!!! I agree be careful, matter of fact stay home, relax with the family. Storm will be here in Northern NJ sometime late Sunday, tomorrow should be a good deer hunting day
Old 10-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

Don't go cruising around in a fishing boat offshore........... A.G.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Spike

I'm in Va. Beach, two miles from the OceanFront. Predictions keep changing, with that said, I'm going hunting.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

I am at the farm right now. I have a morning till noon window then I am out. Deer will bed up and wait it out.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just remember after it's over and the news people show up stand next to a fallen tree and yell "WHERE"S BUSH"!!Worked well for N.O..
Old 10-27-2012, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have lived in the deep south since birth ... almost 64 years ago. I have experienced first hand the ravages of Betsy, Camille, Frederick, Ivan, and Katrina. You folks up in the NE that do not have experience with these level of storms need not kid yourselves. I work in a control center for a major SE electric utility that has had to deal with massive equipment damage due to hurricanes and tornadoes. We have already dispatched many crews and equipment to the DC area for staging into the areas of need. Those in the central path of this storm system need to prepare interruption to electric service for days. If the electric transmission system expereinces intensive damage, expect outages in the range of a week or more. After Betsy my oparents were without electricity for 20 days. The electric transmisison system rely on large towers and are often overland through rough country. A storm can lay miles of these down in a heartbeat.

One big thing to remember is that cell service depends upon electric power to the repeater towers. Some may have on site emergency backup generation. But down this way most do not. You may not have cell service.

Be mindful that gasoline supplies may run short due to no electricity to the station's pumps. Get what you need ASAP. And be sure to store in a safe place.

If you are using a household generator, be mindful of carbon monoxide gasses. Keep that puppy outside .... not in the garage !! And make darned sure it does not backfeed the electric system ibn your neighborhood. During Katrina's aftermath we had a contracted lineman killed by backfeed.

If you are expecting to experience winds in the 70 mph range or are on the NE side of the rotation I advise you head inland. This level of wind and the possibility of mini-tornadoes inside the storm are nothing to mess with. Remember that the force of the wind is proportion to the square of the velocity. So from 20 mph to 80 mph there is a 16 fold increase in force.

If you are in a low lying area that is likely to flood, get out. If you stay, be prepared to be able to get into and out of the attic space. If you go into the attic to escape the rising water, be able to cut your way through to the roof. And have a life jacket for everyone just in case.

As for food stuff .... bottled water, sports drinks, granola bars, energy bars, canned foods that do not necessarily need to be heated, etc. .... lots of wet wipes ... start now gatehring up ice. Freeze your own if necessary. If you have food in a freezer, keep the lid shut. Should stay frozen a couple of days at least. Batteries and flash lights.

Be careful and good luck !
Old 10-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

Aside from keeping yourself and your family safe,
Don't forget about your neighbors, especially the elderly,
Check in with them, say hello, see if they need anything before the storm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.