HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Frankenstorm
Thread: Frankenstorm
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 07:26 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

I have lived in the deep south since birth ... almost 64 years ago. I have experienced first hand the ravages of Betsy, Camille, Frederick, Ivan, and Katrina. You folks up in the NE that do not have experience with these level of storms need not kid yourselves. I work in a control center for a major SE electric utility that has had to deal with massive equipment damage due to hurricanes and tornadoes. We have already dispatched many crews and equipment to the DC area for staging into the areas of need. Those in the central path of this storm system need to prepare interruption to electric service for days. If the electric transmission system expereinces intensive damage, expect outages in the range of a week or more. After Betsy my oparents were without electricity for 20 days. The electric transmisison system rely on large towers and are often overland through rough country. A storm can lay miles of these down in a heartbeat.

One big thing to remember is that cell service depends upon electric power to the repeater towers. Some may have on site emergency backup generation. But down this way most do not. You may not have cell service.

Be mindful that gasoline supplies may run short due to no electricity to the station's pumps. Get what you need ASAP. And be sure to store in a safe place.

If you are using a household generator, be mindful of carbon monoxide gasses. Keep that puppy outside .... not in the garage !! And make darned sure it does not backfeed the electric system ibn your neighborhood. During Katrina's aftermath we had a contracted lineman killed by backfeed.

If you are expecting to experience winds in the 70 mph range or are on the NE side of the rotation I advise you head inland. This level of wind and the possibility of mini-tornadoes inside the storm are nothing to mess with. Remember that the force of the wind is proportion to the square of the velocity. So from 20 mph to 80 mph there is a 16 fold increase in force.

If you are in a low lying area that is likely to flood, get out. If you stay, be prepared to be able to get into and out of the attic space. If you go into the attic to escape the rising water, be able to cut your way through to the roof. And have a life jacket for everyone just in case.

As for food stuff .... bottled water, sports drinks, granola bars, energy bars, canned foods that do not necessarily need to be heated, etc. .... lots of wet wipes ... start now gatehring up ice. Freeze your own if necessary. If you have food in a freezer, keep the lid shut. Should stay frozen a couple of days at least. Batteries and flash lights.

Be careful and good luck !