Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New stand, how long before hunting it? >

New stand, how long before hunting it?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New stand, how long before hunting it?

Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default New stand, how long before hunting it?

My plan was to put it out today but since my son is sick that didn't happen and I work all weekend so it wont get put out until Tues. Question is if I put my new ladder stand out on Tues how long should I wait before I hunt out of it. The area I want to put it in has scrapes and rubs every year and this year is no different. I found at least 4 scrapes within 50 yards of where I want the stand. Any input would be great.

Last edited by elmoughler; 10-25-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

hard to say...really depends. if there is alot of pressure, they might not touch the area with a 1000 yard pole. no pressure, they might walk right up to it, climb in and take a look around. climbers are nice, cause there isnt a ladder propped up to a tree.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

There is very little pressure. I'm the only one that hunts the woods and its aprox 20 acres. The stand I want to put up would be about 200 yards due east of one of my other stands.

A climber would be nice, but on a budget. Son needs tubes in his ears and tonsils out, 2nd child on the way, plus my shoulder needs fixed. Therefore the extra 100 bucks was out of the question. At least with this new buddy stand I have three stands on the property and can now take my 16 year old brother-in-law with me and teach him the sport.

Last edited by elmoughler; 10-25-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

right on...sounds like you have yer hands full..she is gonna beat yer azz when ya leave to go hunt

i think the most part is concealing it..imagine if you came home and there was a ladder in yer living room...would ya notice? i have seen the deer walk upon a tripod stand the 1st week out....wish i was in it, he was a heavy 6...he walked up to it, smelled it per say, looked up at it, took 5 steps back at left the way he came in...i woulda had him at 20 yards on his way in, perfect broadside shot.... but noooooooooooooo..i wanted to be at another stand 60 yards away...grrr

next there is the smell...i think it will take longer to get the smell like the woods on it standing up vs laid down buried in forest material for awhile.

that tripod had been laid out in the woods for 2 years, and he still smelled it. so ya never know.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't tell by your description what kind of area this is, but if I put one up in an oak flat it's going to sit empty for awhile. If I tuck one into an area that I know they can't or will not walk right past, I'll hunt it right away.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

If you are going to leave it there i,d give the local deer 3 nights to worry about it and give it the stink eye. If your going to be moving it each hunt i,d hang it when wind and weather are right to hunt and use it right away.
Hang in there, you gotta place to hunt!.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

make a scarecrow with camo on to put in it. nice and compfy to sit on and gives the deer the same image when they walk by whether or not you are in it.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

A lot of people say the day to hunt a new stand is the day you hang it. Personally, I think anytime after the first time you hunt a stand your chances of seeing deer decrease slightly with every sit. I try to put at least a week between every stand I hunt before I hunt them again. During the heat of the rut, all of that theory goes out the window. As long as the wind is right, if I'm seeing does, I may hunt the same stand a few days in a row. Some may disagree, buT when the does are around your stand during the rut, that's where you want to be.

VA
Old 10-26-2012, 03:54 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the comments, I think I'll hang it around noon then hunt it that night.

An idea of my woods, its aprox 20 acres mix of hardwoods with a creek running through the middle. The area where I want to put this stand has a little thicket in the corner of the two fence rows that border the woods.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:00 AM
Typical Buck

Here is a link to the site, on the west the green lane is the property line and on the east and north its the field edge along the woods. On the west side property line there is a fence that runs through the woods. I have one stand on the south side near my opening and one directly north of that in the midle of the woods along a logging road. Proposed site is near a thicket in the NE corner of the woods where the fence row comes from the other woods to the east and runs to mine. There are corn fields on the east and north of this spot.

Last edited by elmoughler; 10-26-2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: take out link

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.