Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New stand, how long before hunting it? >

New stand, how long before hunting it?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New stand, how long before hunting it?

Old 10-26-2012, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

Hunt it that evening, next day, 3 weeks from the time you put it up. Its not going to matter, the deer will come by as long as you do other things correct; noise and scent control.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:03 AM
Banned

put it up super quiet in the middle of the day. no talking and spray it down with scent killer good and hunt it that evening. i have done this many times and yes with ladderstands. last one i did this way was 3 weeks ago and with in 3 hours of setting it up i had 7 does at 4 yards. a few looked at the stand but never stared at it or looked up. it is also going to depend on the location. that stand was on a feild edge and i tucked the platform in among some branches. if it is deep woods or open woods where i can not set it up and hide it then i willl let it rest for a couple of days.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck with your hunts, I'm heading out right after work today. I tend to let the stands sit a couple days, sometimes I will cover them with leaves and dirt at home for a week. Then pull them out and stand them up.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hang it and hunt it.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been at this since 1964. My expereince is that it matters little or none at all how long the stand has been in place before you hunt it.

Sure I have had deer cross my "walk-in" trail and spook ... but I have had at least as many times deer have crossed my track and never checked up.

It is playing the wind, and being stealthy about movement and noise that are the two keys to not spooking deer.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the comments. It sucks that I only have two ways of getting to my stands. From the east or south. and for my stands on the north side of the woods have to walk through lanes that we use for wood hauling.

Last edited by elmoughler; 10-27-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

At least the deer are somewhat use to us in the woods since my dad is back there at least once a week gathering wood and cutting old dead trees