Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Rut Stand Location.. Field Edge vs Timber >

Rut Stand Location.. Field Edge vs Timber

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rut Stand Location.. Field Edge vs Timber

Old 10-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

Talking Rut Stand Location.. Field Edge vs Timber

Which stand location would you guys opt for first while hunting during the rut..

Would you set up on a Field Edge to get more view and hoping bucks will be chasing does in the open more

or

Would you set up back in the timber hoping to see more bucks during the day and chasing does in more cover
Old 10-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

I prefer the timber. In my experience the big boys come out earlier in the timber.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:08 AM
Spike

It depends on what the deer are doing for food. If the does are hitting the fresh acorns in the timber, this is where I would hang out the majority of my time, because this is where those bucks are going to come check for does that are ready. I would only hunt the fields in the afternoon/evening in my area as this is generally the time does enter the fields and not as much in the morning.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

I would set up off the doe beds, down wind and wait for the bucks to patrol that area with their nose in the air. If I can't find that area, then an entrance/exit from timber into a field with an adjoining food source.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with hunting down wind of doe groups,were access to them not available then a staging area well back from and down wind of a field corner. Known travel routes for bucks checking different doe groups worth checking. Last weeks buck had a routine going,got caught on a e.w. routine. One rub on diverse 20 plus acres noticeable. Scrapes not opened,but he was passing through regular with well rubbed antlers .hours behind last doe but despite rain knew where she was headed?. Same route as a buck used a couple years ago like he took over patrol.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Spike

Depends on the wind
Old 10-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

Depends if the timber has been cut or not. I have a stand that overlooks a field where we had corn planted this year and also theres a nice food plot as well and its also bordered on two sides by timber that was cut last year and its covered up in deer....and also rattle snakes. Farmer said he saw 3-4 massive bucks when he was working that corn field this year. And said last year when it was peanuts again lots of deer and a few big bucks. Also I saw a lot of deer there last year and killed a nice 7 pointer and saw a big buck the other day but he was at about 250 yards so I didnt shoot. My idea of fun is not tracking a wounded deer through a rattle snake infested timber cutdown in tennis shoes.

Also depends on what is on the other side of that field edge. Another of my field stands overlooks nothing but freshly planted longleaf pines and some brush thats about waist high and the deer love bedding down in it. The field also boarders one of my swamps and I have seen some monster tracks and pics on my trail cams. Also hunted it last week and watched two nice 8 points chase does but I never could get a good shot.

It just depends on what else is close by.

Last edited by thomasmgp; 10-25-2012 at 01:40 PM.