HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rut Stand Location.. Field Edge vs Timber
Old 10-25-2012, 01:37 PM
thomasmgp
Fork Horn

Depends if the timber has been cut or not. I have a stand that overlooks a field where we had corn planted this year and also theres a nice food plot as well and its also bordered on two sides by timber that was cut last year and its covered up in deer....and also rattle snakes. Farmer said he saw 3-4 massive bucks when he was working that corn field this year. And said last year when it was peanuts again lots of deer and a few big bucks. Also I saw a lot of deer there last year and killed a nice 7 pointer and saw a big buck the other day but he was at about 250 yards so I didnt shoot. My idea of fun is not tracking a wounded deer through a rattle snake infested timber cutdown in tennis shoes.

Also depends on what is on the other side of that field edge. Another of my field stands overlooks nothing but freshly planted longleaf pines and some brush thats about waist high and the deer love bedding down in it. The field also boarders one of my swamps and I have seen some monster tracks and pics on my trail cams. Also hunted it last week and watched two nice 8 points chase does but I never could get a good shot.

It just depends on what else is close by.

Last edited by thomasmgp; 10-25-2012 at 01:40 PM.