Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Getting in the woods too early, been reading a lot against it. >

Getting in the woods too early, been reading a lot against it.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Getting in the woods too early, been reading a lot against it.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DUMB BASS
better to be late, well rested, and warm than early, tired, and cold... It isn't when you get there, it's how long can you sit there during the time that you can shoot... the deer live out there all day every day...

thats good to know
Old 10-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

On the first day and both Saturdays of gun season I am in my stand 90 minutes early. I know I am going to jump deer going in. The area I hunt is so thick as soon as hunters start walking in there are deer moving into the area. Any other day I start walking in 45 minutes before sunrise.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

1/2 hour before sunrise works for me. Where I go, a flashlight is definately needed if you don't want to be found at the bottom of a coulie or drop off a cliff and be buzzard bait.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

I want to be sitting 15-20 before the first signs of light in the sky. When it starts to get light out the deer can see alot better than us!
I don't like to get in too early because I feel like it gives the deer more time to get downwind and spook. I take my time to the stand and try to be silent.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

Hunting in or near bedding area i want to beat them there.
Listened to one buck work a scrape before lite,just after shooting lite on same opening morning he walked like on pins and needles in front of tree i was in.
Another buck took weeks to get an arrow in. That morning listened to him run every deer out of area before returning to his favorite rubs and small bedding area. About 80 yards away. When he got up later to browse he worked his way to within about 12 yards,was chewing on of all things a fallen red oak branch with leaves attached. Previously a few days earlier returning to his boudoir he about touched my tree. His routine was bed ,probably on full alert before day lite, then around an hour later work small (2acre?) Part of woods.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Spike

I think many things come into play... public land is earlier than private land due to people trampling around... usually getting in around 30 min before shooting light works well for me so I am not bored but gives me time to get settled. Deer move through my area right at first light so I need to be settled. If I am late (like I was Sunday) then I walk in when the does are walking through which isn't a good idea... but I learned their latest pattern for a strong S wind...
Old 10-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

I get in the stand approx 30 minutes before sunrise....everyone makes noise when they get to their stand....I don't care who you are. IMO, it only takes 15-30 minutes for the woods to calm down....here is another thought....even if you spook a deer on the way in, chances are that is not the only deer you will see that day...I killed my biggest buck to date AFTER I jumped a doe on my way to the stand. She held her ground and I basically stepped right on her....after she scared the pee out of me, I made my way to the stand....20-25 minutes later her come a 171 3/8" deer.....he is now on my wall!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

Arrive at stand 1/2 hour befor shooting time mo earlier
Old 10-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

I try and get in my stand about an hour before daylight. This allows me time to get into my stand as quietly as possible and for the woods to settle down. I also have time to get a drink of water and get my equipment (range finder, binos,etc) ready for the morning hunt.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

Bowhunting Im out at legal shooting light (30 min before sunrise) to sunrise. Just not worried about being in my stand at dark when bowhunting. Deer are more relaxed in my neck of the woods. Now gun hunting, Im out there and in stand and ready to go 15-20 mins before legal shooting light. I know the deer are going to be pushed and start to get skiddish real quick and I dont want to give them another reason to make a detour from their original plan of running and hiding from whoever bumped them in the woods already. Once gun seasons has had its opening weekend and a couple days after, I will go back to the legal shooting light to just before sunrise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.