Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Should I get this climber.

Old 09-15-2003, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should I get this climber.

Thanks bruce, I am seriously looking at the ol' mans right now. On the cabelas website they have one for 200. Will the front bar come off of this one? Where would I put it? thanks for the help.-Sam
Old 09-15-2003, 07:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

If possible, borrow a few friends climbers and test them out. You may be able to find a store that has an area that you can climb a few feet up a pole and check out the comfort and ease of moving around in the stand before you buy one. Comfort is a big plus to me and there are a couple of stands you mentioned that I tried that were a real pain to sit in several hours.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:44 AM

Yeah nuge the front bar does come off. You sit on it when you are climbing and if you feel it is necessary you can remove it once you are in your final hunting position. There are little buttons on each side you just depress them and the bar will slide off. You could then strap it to the tree behind you I guess. I' ve never taken mine off while in it because it just doesn' t get in my way
Old 09-15-2003, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Timber please tell me what stands you are saying are uncomfortable! I do not want to buy one of them.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

Spend the money and get the summit viper xls. Great climber, easy to use, quiet, and versitile. I' m glad I spent the extra dough, it' s the best climber I' ve ever used. Just my opinion.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah but im not sure if i want that bar in the front of me.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I tried a few different ones before I bought the Summit Viper XLS, its almost as good as my recliner. The worst one I have ever tried was the Old Man. The older I get I want a good comfortable stand. You need to actually sit in one for awhile and form your own opinion. A less expensive but fairly comfortable stand to me is the Buckshot.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah i' m looking at the summit line right now but I am afraid that bar infront will get away. The only real reason I was looking at the ol' man was because you could remove this bar. I think im going to get the summit broadhead,bushmaster,or cobra. I like to sit when shooting and rarely stand, and these three provide enough room to sit while shooting. My only concern is where do you hang on while climbing? Do they by anychance make and attachment in the front for sit down climbing that you can take off at the top?
Old 09-16-2003, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

Don' t worry about that front bar, makes for easier climbing, and a handy place to lay your bow. It doesn' t get in the way at all, I can even easily shoot my recurve out of it.