Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What would you do in this situation? >

What would you do in this situation?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What would you do in this situation?

Old 10-15-2012, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default What would you do in this situation?

Yesterday morning i was watching a group of does in the field. On the corner of my eye about 250 yards away i saw a large bodied deer come out of the crick bottom. It was a very nice 8 that i have been hunting. He was making his way towards me like he was on a string. But then from underneath me a spike with an arrow sticking out of his hind end came walking out. Now me being a good sportsman i shot the spike so he didnt suffer, but that spooked the big buck. I am happy with my decision, what do all you sportsman think?
Old 10-15-2012, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

I would have shot the spike as well. You never want to see a deer suffer. However I feel many in my state (one buck rule Indiana) would have waited for the 8pt.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

agreed. thanks for the comment!
Old 10-15-2012, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with shooting it but not sure I would have tagged it.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by c-rad
I agree with shooting it but not sure I would have tagged it.
If you would shoot a deer why would you not tag it? That is a clear violation of the law!
Old 10-15-2012, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Putting a deer out of its misery is the right thing to do 100% of the time I have even shot a doe out of season because she had a leg flopping around and was bleeding badly out of another. Suffering is never an option in my opinion no matter what time of year.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

I totally agree with you cowboy4513. And i tagged the deer. As a hunter i like to follow the law and the hunting rights that michigan has to offer.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:51 AM
Fork Horn

Putting an animal out of its misery is more important. Shooting a spike in my state is illegal for adults so either way I would still be breaking the law.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

thats understandable!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by c-rad
Putting an animal out of its misery is more important. Shooting a spike in my state is illegal for adults so either way I would still be breaking the law.
I see your point now, did not know your states regs. If that was the case I would shoot it then call the local game warden to state my reasoning instead of leaving it in the woods. That meat can always go to a food bank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.