Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Bringing meat & trophy into USA from Canada >

Bringing meat & trophy into USA from Canada

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bringing meat & trophy into USA from Canada

Old 10-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bringing meat & trophy into USA from Canada

I hunt Canada often but never bring meat back. Mostly because I always gave it to my guide as a bonus besides a tip. This year I thought of bringing back meat (if I should get lucky of course). I started looking at the rules and even called the boarder crossing for info. They explained to me "my guide" would know all my answers...Gee why thank you too! Has anyone brought meat back in the last couple of years? I reading different information and some is saying the head must be removed. Anyone have any input on this? Thanks
Old 10-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

ive brought back fish. and the rule to that is you must leave proof of the species. don't know if this helps but thats my experience.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

i dont know where abouts you hunt but im from ontario and i know you need proof of species and an export permit for your animal to go back into the states
Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

i have hunted Manitoba several times and just recently returned with both a caribou and moose. all that they looked for was properly tagging and you had to fill out a declaration of import which in my case included the heads and meat. the tag on each animal was attached to one container or box and that box marked 1 of however many it took for that species. on the remainder of the containers was written 2 of 3 of and so on along with your license number on each container. be sure to keep your original license as well. my outfitter took care of the packaging and the border people indicated everything was correct as stated above. 2 other guys that were in camp indicated that when they hunted in Ontario they had to obtain an export permit as stated in the above email and they paid $35 for that. there was no export permit to purchase to bring my own meat back from Manitoba.